|1/2 cup Basmati Rice (long grained rice)|
|1 cup chopped Fresh Fenugreek Leaves (methi)|
|1-inch piece of Cinnamon|
|1 medium size Onion, finely chopped|
|1 Green Chilli, finely chopped|
|1 teaspoon Ginger-Garlic Paste|
|1¼ cups Water|
|Salt to taste|
|1 tablespoon Oil|
|1/2 tablespoon Ghee|
- Wash and soak basmati rice in water for 20 minutes and drain the water.
- Heat oil and ghee together in a pan (pressure pan or normal pan). Add cinnamon and cloves and allow them to crackle. Add onion and sauté until it turns light brown. Add green chilli, ginger-garlic paste and sauté for 30 seconds.
- Add chopped fresh fenugreek leaves.
- Stir and cook for 2-minutes.
- Add drained rice and sauté until rice starts to stick to the bottom for 1-2 minutes.
- Add 1¼ cups water and salt and bring it to boil over medium flame.
- When it starts to boil, cover it with the lid and cook it for 8-10 minutes over low flame. Do not open the lid in between otherwise rice may remain uncooked.
- Turn off flame and let it settle for 7-8 minutes. After that, remove the lid and fluff the rice with a fork.
- Transfer methi rice to serving plate and serve it hot with yogurt raita.
- Clean and wash green fenugreek leaves (methi) properly before using.
- If you prepare this healthy food for kids, add green peas and yellow sweet corn in step-3 to make it healthier and give it a tempting look.
- You can also cook it in a 3-5 liter capacity aluminum/steel pressure cooker for 3-whistles over medium flame. Keep the lid on until pressure comes down naturally. Open the lid carefully after letting remaining steam escape and fluff the rice with a fork. (Do not open the pressure cooker lid immediately after cooking otherwise rice may not cook properly.)