Soya bean needs no introduction as there is no other legume which packs more protein than it does. While there are many ways to gorge onto its proteins, the best one is to use soya chunks which are protein rich, easy to cook and has a great taste neutrality which means it can be combined with any food to make it protein rich without affecting its taste. In this soya bean pulao recipe, nutritious soya granules and rice are sautéed in ghee with fresh vegetables and spices and then cooked like a normal pulao making it a well balanced meal in itself.
More Rice Recipes
Preparation Time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 25 minutes
Serves: 3 servings
|1/2 cup Long Grained Rice (basmati rice)|
|1/2 cup Soya Chunks (dried)|
|1/4 cup finely chopped Carrots|
|1/4 cup Green Peas (fresh or frozen)|
|1/2 teaspoon Cumin Seeds|
|1 small piece of Bay Leaf|
|2-3 Black Peppercorns|
|1 small piece of Cinnamon Stick|
|1 medium Onion, thinly sliced|
|1 Green Chilli, finely chopped|
|1/4 teaspoon Turmeric Powder, optional|
|1¼ cups Water|
|1 tablespoons Oil or Ghee|
|2 tablespoons finely chopped Coriander Leaves, for garnishing|
- Rinse tice 2-3 times in water and soak it in water for 15-20 minutes.
- Rinse and soak soya chunks in hot water for 15-minutes.
- After 15-minutes, chunks will increase to almost double in size. Drain excess water and again rinse them 2-3 times in water to remove raw smell.
- Heat oil or ghee in a non-stick pan (with lid) over medium flame. Add cumin seeds, bay leaf, black peppercorns, cinnamon and cloves and allow cumin seeds to sizzle. Add sliced onion and green chilli and sauté until onion turns transparent.
- Add chopped carrot and green peas and sauté for 2-3 minutes.
- Drain the excess water from soaked rice and add them in the pan. Add drained soya chunks and turmeric powder. Mix everything well and sauté for a couple of minutes over medium flame.
- Add 1¼ cups water and salt to taste; bring it to boil over medium flame.
- When it starts to boil, reduce flame to low and cook covered (cover pan with a lid) for about 10-minutes. Do not open the lid in between as steam will escape and rice will not cook properly and become sticky.
- After 10-minutes, turn off flame and keep it over hot stove-top for at least 7-8 minutes. Now, remove the lid and fluff the cooked rice with fork.
- Soya bean pulao with vegetables is ready. Transfer it to a serving bowl and garnish with fresh coriander leaves.
Tips and Variations:
- You can also cook pulao in a pressure cooker instead of cooking in a pan. Follow the same method, same amount of ingredients and cook in a 3-liter capacity aluminum/steel pressure cooker for 3-whistles over medium flame.
- Do not add turmeric powder if you want to make a white colored soya rice.
- If you are preparing this recipe for kids then do not add green chilli and black peppercorns. Give this in your kid’s lunchbox as a stomach filling and healthy dish.
Taste: Mild spicy
Serving Ideas: Serve it with cucumber raita or plain yogurt or as an alternative of steamed rice with meal.