Vermicelli Kheer, a delicious Indian dessert made with milk and vermicelli strands is often served as a sweet accompaniment in lunch or dinner. In this recipe, vermicelli, which is also known as semiya or seviya, is roasted in ghee which gives it a nice aroma and its signature taste. This vermicelli pudding is sometimes referred as semiya kheer or seviya kheer as well.
More Dessert Recipes
Preparation Time: 5 minutes
Cooking Time: 25 minutes
Serves: 5 servings
|1/2 cup thin Vermicelli|
|1 tablespoon + 1 tablespoon Ghee (clarified butter)|
|2½ cups Milk|
|3-4 tablespoons Sugar (or to taste)|
|1/2 teaspoon Cardamom Powder (Elaichi Powder)|
|1/2 tablespoon Raisins (kishmish), optional|
|1 tablespoon chopped Cashew nuts|
|1 tablespoon chopped Almonds|
- Heat 1 tablespoon ghee in a heavy bottomed pan over medium flame. Add thin vermicelli.
- Stir constantly and roast it until golden brown. Stir to roast all strands evenly. Transfer it to a plate.
- In the same pan, heat another 1 tablespoon ghee and roast cashew nuts and almonds until light brown, transfer them to a plate.
- Boil milk in the same pan or another pan over medium flame.
- When milk comes to a boil, add roasted vermicelli. Stir and cook until it turns soft or for around 5-7 minutes. Keep stirring continuously while cooking and make sure not to overcook it.
- Add sugar, raisins and cardamom powder. Stir and cook until sugar dissolves.
- Cook for 2-3 minutes and turn off the flame. Let it cool at room temperature.
- Transfer vermicelli kheer to a large serving bowl. Place it in a refrigerator for 1 or 2 hours to chill. If it turns too thick after chilling then add milk (previously boiled and cooled milk) to get your desired consistency. Garnish with roasted almonds and cashew nuts and serve.
Tips and Variations:
- To get the thick texture of a kheer, let it set in refrigerator for 5-6 hours. It thickens as it cools and time passes.
- Vermicelli can be easily found in any Indian or Asian grocery store.
Taste: Sweet and creamy
Serving Ideas: Serve it as a sweet dish in lunch or dinner or as a dessert after meal.