It is a sweet and creamy Indian dessert made from badam (almonds) and milk as base ingredients with a slight touch of ghee, saffron and cardamom powder for extra flavor. The use of saffron in this badam kheer recipe not only adds an aromatic flavor but also gives it a rich creamy color. This quick dessert is also high-energy sweet dish suitable for kids due its generous use of almonds. Follow this recipe and learn how to make it in just 30 minutes.
Preparation Time: 1 hour 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 20 minutes
Serves: 4 servings
|1/2 cup Almonds
|1 tablespoon Ghee, optional
|1½ cups Full Fat or Low Fat Milk
|2½ tablespoons Sugar (or to taste)
|1/4 teaspoon Cardamom Powder (Elaichi)
|4-5 Saffron strands (kesar)
How to Blanch Almonds:
- Place almonds in a bowl and pour 1 cup boiling water over it.
- Let them sit for around 5-6 minutes, transfer to a colander or strainer and drain off water. Wash them with 1-cup normal cold water.
- Now, you can easily peel them. If the skin does not come out easily, again repeat the process.
- Blanched almonds are ready.
- Grind blanched almonds with 1/4 cup water and make a smooth paste.
- Heat 1 tablespoon ghee in a non-stick pan and add almonds paste.
- Cook it over low flame while stirring constantly until light brown, approx 5-7 minutes.
- Add milk, mix well and bring it to boil over high flame.
- When it starts boiling, reduce flame to medium and add sugar, saffron strands and cardamom powder.
- Cook for 4-5 minutes while stirring continuously. Remove pan from flame and let it cool at room temperature.
- Transfer it to individual serving bowls or one large bowl and place in refrigerator for an hour before serving. Chilled badam kheer is ready for serving.
Tips and Variations:
- The consistency of kheer will turn thick when it chills.
- If you want the liquid consistency of kheer, add 1 more cup milk in step-3 and adjust sugar accordingly.
- You can add additional 1-2 tablespoons ghee to make high calorie kheer for kids.
- Avoid addition of ghee and use low fat milk in step-2 to reduce the calorie of this dessert.
Taste: Sweet and creamy.
Serving Ideas: Serve it as a healthy and high-energy dessert to kids. Serve this rich kheer with a scoop of vanilla ice cream for a different dessert experience.