Carrot cake is a deliciously moist cake made with fresh carrots, flavored with spices and topped with cream cheese frosting and nuts. It’s a perfect cake to make for the kids birthday or any special occasion. This simple carrot cake recipe is eggless and uses oil and curd (plain yogurt) to get the perfectly moist texture. Learn how to make the carrot cake from scratch by following the below given recipe with step by step photos and tips.
More Dessert Recipes
|3/4 cup grated Carrot|
|1 cup Maida (all purpose flour)|
|1/2 teaspoon Baking Soda|
|1/2 teaspoon Baking Powder|
|1/2 teaspoon Cinnamon Powder|
|1/8 teaspoon Nutmeg Powder, optional|
|1/8 teaspoon Salt|
|1/2 cup Granulated Sugar|
|3/4 cup Curd (plain yogurt)|
|2 tablespoons Milk|
|1/4 cup Oil (use any flavorless oil)|
|1/2 teaspoon Vanilla Extract or Vanilla Essence|
|1½ tablespoons Butter, softened to room temperature|
|3 oz Cream Cheese (85 grams), softened to room temperature|
|1/2 cup Powdered Sugar (or icing sugar)|
|1/4 teaspoon Vanilla ExtractVanilla Essence, optional|
|2 tablespoons chopped Walnuts or Pecans or Almonds, optional|
- If the butter and cream cheese are in the refrigerator, remove them and keep on the countertop to bring them to room temperature. Preheat the oven to 350 F (180 C) for at least 10 minutes. Take an 8-inch round baking pan and grease its entire surface with butter or oil. Sprinkle some maida over it and tilt the pan in all directions to coat the greased surface. Line the pan with a parchment paper or butter paper.
- Peel the carrots and grate them using a box grater or a cheese grater.
- Sift together all the dry ingredients (1 cup maida(all purpose flour), 1/2 teaspoon baking soda, 1/2 teaspoon baking powder, 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon powder, 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg powder, 1/8 teaspoon salt) in a bowl.
- Mix well.
- Take 1/2 cup granulated sugar, 3/4 cup curd, 2 tablespoons milk and 1/4 cup oil in another bowl.
- Mix well using a whisk until sugar is dissolved. Add 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract (or vanilla essence).
- Mix well.
- Add half of the dry flour mixture (sifted in step-4). Mix till incorporated. Add remaining flour mixture.
- Mix using a spatula until no visible signs of dry flour. Do not over mix it.
- Add grated carrots.
- Fold it in with a spatula.
- Pour the prepared batter into previously greased pan.
- Place the pan on the middle rack in preheated oven and bake at 350 F (180 C) for 25-30 minutes. (If you are using a 6-inch round pan then it will take 30-40 minutes.) Remove the cake from the oven. To check the cake, insert a toothpick in the center and if it comes out clean then it is ready. If it is not then bake it for 5-10 minutes again. Place the pan over a cooling rack and let it cool for 15-20 minutes.
- Run a knife on sides of the pan. Invert it over cooling rack to cool completely. Gently peel the butter paper. It will come out easily.
- Take 1½ tablespoons butter and 3 oz (85 gm) cream cheese in a medium bowl. Make sure that both the ingredients are at room temperature.
- Mix well using a whisk until smooth. It will take approx. 1-2 minutes.
- Add 1/2 cup powdered sugar (or icing sugar).
- Whisk it again until fluffy and shiny, for approx. 2-3 minutes.
- Add 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract (or vanilla essence). Mix well. The frosting is ready.
- When the cake cools completely, cut it into two layers using a knife. You can skip this step of cutting the cake into layers.
- Take the one layer of cake and place half of the frosting in the center. Spread it evenly with a spatula. Place the other layer of cake on top of it and remaining frosting in the center.
- Spread it evenly.
- Garnish with chopped nuts. Eggless Carrot Cake is ready for serving. Slice it and enjoy. It stays good for 2 days (without frosting) at room temperature and for a week in the refrigerator.
Tips and Variations:
- You can use 3/4 cup maida + 1/4 cup whole wheat flour instead of using only maida.
- For variation, add 3 tablespoons desiccated coconut or 2 tablespoons raisins and 2 tablespoons walnuts or almonds or pecans along with grated carrot in batter in step-11.
- You can make the cake without adding spices or without topping with frosting.
- Make sure that cake is cooled completely before spreading frosting over it otherwise it will melt.
- You can make the carrot cupcake/muffin using the same batter. Bake them until the toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, for approx. 15-20 minutes.
Serving Ideas: Serve carrot cake as a dessert after dinner or serve it in the kids party.