Make a delicious and healthy Indian sweet in minutes with kaddu (white pumpkin). This easy kaddu ki kheer recipe uses ghee, cardamom powder and saffron for extra flavorful taste and generous use of almonds adds richness. This famous Hydrabadi style kheer can be served warm or chilled as classic Indian sweet and dessert for any occasion.
More Dessert Recipes
Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 25 minutes
Serves: 2-3 servings
|1¼ cups peeled and grated White Pumpkin|
|2 cups Full Fat Milk|
|1 tablespoon Ghee (clarified Butter)|
|4 tablespoons Sugar|
|1/4 teaspoon Cardamom Powder (Elaichi)|
|5-6 Saffron strands (kesar)|
|3-4 Almonds, thinly sliced|
- Squeeze out excess water from the grated pumpkin.
- Heat ghee in a non-stick pan or heavy bottomed pan and add grated pumpkin.
- Sauté it over low flame until raw smell goes off and almost all moisture is absorbed or for around 6-8 minutes.
- Add milk, stir well and cook until it turns soft or for around 8-10 minutes. Stir occasionally in between.
- Add sugar, saffron strands and cardamom powder and stir to dissolve sugar.
- Cook until mixture turns slightly thick for approx. 4-5 minutes and turn off the flame.
- Let it cool at room temperature. Kaddu ka kheer is ready for serving. Garnish it with almonds and serve it warm or chilled as you like it.
Tips and Variations:
- Use ripe kaddu for making its kheer. Add sugar according to your taste to make it more or less sweet.
- Add 2 tablespoons condensed milk in step-5 to get a creamy texture. If you are using condensed milk, then reduce sugar quantity to 2 tablespoons.
Serving Ideas: Serve it as a dessert for a sweet ending to your lunch or dinner.