More Desserts Sweets Recipes
|10 Almonds (badam), blanched|
|4 tablespoons (1/4 cup) Basmati Rice|
|1/2 cup + 2½ cups Milk|
|1/3 cup Sugar (or to taste)|
|1/4 teaspoon Green Cardamom Powder|
|5-6 Saffron Strands (dissolved in 1 teaspoon milk)|
|2 Almonds, sliced|
|3 Green Pistachios (pista), chopped|
|6-9 Saffron Strands (kesar)|
- Blanch almonds by following the steps for how to blanch almonds given in badam kheer recipe . Add blanched almonds to the small chutney jar of a mixer grinder and grind them with 1-tablespoon water into smooth paste. Transfer it to a small bowl.
- Rinse basmati rice in running water and soak in water for half an hour.
- Drain excess water and transfer rice to the small chutney jar of mixer-grinder. Add approx. 2-3 tablespoons water and grind until thick and smooth paste. Mix prepared paste with 1/2 cup milk and keep aside.
- Heat remaining 2½ cups milk in a heavy based pan and bring it to boil over medium flame.
- When it starts boiling, add rice-milk mixture (prepared in step-3). Reduce flame to low and cook with continuous stirring until the mixture turns creamy and slightly thick, it will take around 5-7 minutes.
- Add sugar, green cardamom powder and dissolved saffron strands; stir well and cook until sugar dissolves completely for about 2-3 minutes.
- Add almonds paste (prepared in step-1), mix well and cook for a minute.
- Turn off the flame and transfer hot phirni to a large serving bowl or 3-small bowls. Garnish with almonds (sliced), chopped pistachios and saffron strands and let it cool at room temperature.
- Cover the a bowl or bowls with aluminum foil and place in the refrigerator for 1 to 2 hours to set; take them out from refrigerator just before serving, remove foil and serve.
- Constant stirring is required in step-6 and step-7 to avoid sticking mixture to the pan.
- If you are in hurry then soak the rice in hot water for 15-minutes instead of soaking them for half an hour in regular water.
- If basmati rice is not available, use any other good quality rice in place of it.
- Change the quantity of the sugar according to your taste.
- Serve it in clay bowls and garnish with rose petals for traditional festival feel.