|250 gms (1/2 lb) Bhindi (Ladies Finger/ Okra)|
|3 medium Tomatoes, chopped|
|5-6 Cashew Nuts, optional|
|1 Green Chilli, seeded and chopped, optional|
|1/2 teaspoon Ginger, chopped|
|2 cloves of Garlic|
|1/2 teaspoon Fennel Seeds|
|1 large Onion, finely chopped|
|2 teaspoons Cumin-Coriander Powder|
|1/4 teaspoon Turmeric Powder|
|1/2 teaspoon Red Chilli Powder|
|1/4 teaspoon Garam Masala Powder|
|1/2 cup Curd (Yogurt) (not sour)|
|1½ tablespoons Coriander Leaves, finely chopped|
|1½ tablespoons + 3 tablespoons Oil|
|Salt to taste|
- Crush cashew nuts in the small chutney jar of a mixer grinder to make medium coarse powder. Coarsely crush green chilli, ginger and garlic in the same jar and make a paste. Crush tomatoes in the same jar and make a smooth tomato puree.
- Remove head and tail of each bhindi and cut it into 1.5-inch long pieces. Heat 1½ tablespoons oil in a pan over medium flame. Add bhindi and sprinkle some salt over it.
- Shallow fry bhindi until it turns dark green and shrinks considerably from its original size (approx 6-8 minutes). Turn off the flame and transfer shallow fried bhindi to a plate.
- Heat remaining 3 tablespoons oil in the same pan. Add 1/2 teaspoon fennel seeds, when they begin to crackle, add finely chopped onion and sauté until it turns light brown. Add green chilli–ginger-garlic paste (prepared in step-1) and sauté for a minute.
- Add tomato puree (prepared in step-1) and cook until oil starts to separate.
- Add 1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder, 1/2 teaspoon red chilli powder, 1/4 teaspoon garam masala powder and salt; mix well.
- Add 1/2 cup curd, 2 teaspoons cumin coriander powder and crushed cashew nuts and mix well.
- Add shallow fried bhindi and mix well.
- Cook it over medium flame for 2-3 minutes.
- Turn off the flame and transfer prepared curry to a serving bowl. Garnish bhindi masala gravy with coriander leaves and serve hot.
- Make sure that the curd is not sour else the curry will have mild sour taste.
- Adjust the amount of green chilli and garlic to get your desired taste and make it more palatable.
- Add 1-teaspoon sugar to balance out tangy flavor of curry.