It is a stir-fried bhindi cooked in curd and besan (gram flour) based mild spicy gravy and outright delicious. This simple and easy bhindi preparation has a liquid gravy texture that makes it an ideal Indian vegetable curry to be enjoyed with rice or roti. Make best dahi bhindi with this easy recipe and delight your taste buds today.
More Lunch Recipes
|250 gms (1/2 lb) Bhindi (okra/ladies finger)|
|1 medium Onion, finely chopped|
|1 cup Curd (yogurt)|
|1 teaspoon Gram Flour (Besan)|
|1 Dry Red Chilli, broken into two pieces|
|4-5 Curry Leaves|
|1/2 teaspoon Cumin Seeds|
|1/4 teaspoon Mustard Seeds|
|1 teaspoon Coriander Powder|
|1 pinch Turmeric Powder|
|1½ tablespoons + 2 teaspoons Oil|
|1 tablespoon Coriander Leaves, finely chopped|
|1/2 cup Water|
- Wash and dry bhindi. Remove and discard head and tail and cut it into 1/2-inch thick circles.
- Heat 1½ tablespoons oil in a pan. Add chopped bhindi pieces in heated oil and shallow fry over medium flame until they shrink and turn dark green. It will take around 8-10 minutes over low-medium flame. Stir in between occasionally to prevent sticking. Make sure that it is cooked well otherwise curry may turn sticky. Transfer shallow fried bhindi to a plate.
- Beat curd and gram flour in 1/2 cup water until smooth.
- Heat remaining 2 teaspoons oil in pan over medium flame. Add mustard seeds and cumin seeds; when seeds begin to crackle, add chopped onion, curry leaves and dry red chillies and sauté until onion turns light brown.
- Add beaten curd mixture (prepared in step-3), coriander powder, turmeric powder and salt; mix well. Cook gravy for 2 minutes over low flame.
- Add shallow fried bhindi and cook for 4-5 minutes.
- Turn off the flame and transfer prepared curry in a serving bowl.
- Garnish dahi bhindi with coriander leaves and serve hot.
Tips and Variations:
- Add crushed ginger-garlic in step-4 to make it spicy.
- Add a pinch of sugar to balance tanginess of curd.
Taste: Mild tangy and mild spicy
Serving Ideas: Serve it with plain steamed rice or roti for lunch and dinner.