This is one of the most widely followed Indian bhindi curry preparations. This easy Punjabi style bhindi masala recipe has dry texture and requires shallow frying bhindi followed by mixing with spicy dry masala of onion and common curry spices. Look at the tips and variations given below to customize it your preference.
Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 15 minutes
Serves: 2 servings
|250 gms (1/2 lb) Bhindi (Ladies Finger/Okra)|
|1 medium Onion, finely chopped|
|2 teaspoons Cumin-Coriander Powder|
|1/4 teaspoon Turmeric Powder|
|1/2 teaspoon Garam Masala|
|1 tablespoon grated Coconut|
|1-2 Green Chillies, deseeded and chopped|
|1 teaspoon Ginger, finely chopped|
|4 cloves Garlic|
|1/2 teaspoon Cumin Seeds|
|2 tablespoons Coriander Leaves, finely chopped|
|1½ tablespoon + 2 tablespoons Oil|
- Wash bhindi in running water and dry them completely with cloth. If they are not completely dry, then they will turn sticky while cutting and cooking. Remove head and tail of it. Cut each one lengthwise and make long halves.
- Coarsely crush green chilli, ginger and garlic in grinder and make spicy ginger-garlic-chilli paste.
- Heat 1½-tablespoons oil in a frying pan over medium flame. Shallow fry cut bhindi over medium flame until it turns dark green and shrinks, approx. 6-8 minutes. Sprinkle some salt over it, stir and cook for a minute. Turn off the flame and transfer to a plate.
- Heat remaining 2 tablespoons oil in pan. Sauté cumin seeds in it; when they begin to crackle, add green chilli-ginger-garlic paste (prepared in step 1) and sauté for a minute.
- Add finely chopped onion and mix well. Sprinkle salt (only for onion) and cook until it turns light brown.
- Add turmeric powder and garam masala, mix well.
- Now add shallow fried bhindi and cook for a minute.
- Add grated coconut, cumin-coriander powder and mix well.
- Turn off the flame and transfer prepared curry to a serving bowl. Garnish bhindi masala dry with coriander leaves and serve hot.
Tips and Variations:
- Wash and dry bhindi 3-4 hours before cooking to prevent them turning sticky while cooking.
- Shallow fry finely chopped potatoes (1 medium size) along with bhindi to make delicious variation.
- Add finely chopped tomatoes in curry (after onion turns brown) for tangy flavor.
- Add 1/2 teaspoon sugar and 1 teaspoon lemon juice in step-8 to make irresistible mild sweet and sour Gujarati style dry masala bhindi.
Serving Ideas: Punjabi dry bhindi masala, tandoori roti, steamed rice or peas pulao and cucumber tomato onion salad makes a healthy wholesome meal. Serve it in parties as main curry dish.