It is the popular curry recipe of Punjabi cuisine from India. It is not only spicy and palatable but also packs many healthy greens that are highly rich in nutrients, minerals and dietary fibers. This saag paneer recipe uses leafy greens like spinach, mustard leaves and fenugreek leaves to make it healthier and well balanced. However, you can use any or all of the leafy greens without much affecting its overall taste. It is recommended to use freshly made paneer if possible; otherwise, use ready-made one available in market.
More Curry Recipes
|250 gms Paneer (cottage cheese) or Tofu, cubed into 1-inch pieces|
|1/2 bunch Spinach Leaves|
|1/2 bunch Mustard Leaves (sarson leaves)|
|1/4 bunch Fenugreek Leaves, optional|
|2-3 Green Chilies, seeded and chopped|
|1 medium Onion, finely chopped|
|1 tablespoon Ginger Garlic Paste|
|1 small Tomato, finely chopped|
|1/4 teaspoon Turmeric Powder, optional|
|3 tablespoons Ghee (clarified butter) or Cooking Oil|
|Salt to taste|
|1/4 cup Water|
This recipe requires use of blanched leafy greens. Follow the steps given below to blanch spinach and all other leafy greens.
- Discard stems of all greens (spinach leaves, fenugreek leaves and mustard leaves) and rinse them in water.
- Blanch all the greens for 2-3 minutes by following the method of how to balnch spinach in the recipe of palak paneer.
- Drain the water and transfer all blanched greens in a blender jar.
- Add green chilies and 1/4 cup water. Blend them into medium coarse texture. You can blend them into fine puree or coarse texture according to your choice.
- Heat ghee or oil in a pan over medium flame. Add onion; sauté until it turns translucent. Add ginger garlic paste and sauté for a minute.
- Add chopped tomato and cook for 1-2 minutes. Add turmeric powder and mix well.
- Add crushed greens and salt.
- Stir well and cook for 4-5 minutes.
- Add paneer cubes.
- Mix well and cook for 3-4 minutes. Takeaway pan from flame and transfer prepared curry to a serving bowl. Healthy saag paneer is ready for serving.
Tips and Variations:
- Take any combination of greens according to your taste to prepare a saag (gravy of greens).
- If you are using frozen paneer cubes, then thaw them before using.
- Fry paneer cubes in butter until light brown before adding in gravy for variation.
- If you like liquid consistency of gravy, add 1/2 cup water (in step-8) and cook again for 4-5 minutes.
- While blanching greens, make sure not to keep them in boiling water for more than 2-3 minutes otherwise they may lose their nutritional values.
- If you are worried about losing the nutrition’s of green vegetables by boiling them, then you can steam them instead of boiling.
Serving Ideas: Serve it with tandoori roti, naan, simple paratha or makki ki roti.