Paneer Butter Masala Recipe (with Step by Step Photos)
Punjabi paneer butter masala is one of the most popular paneer recipes in Indian cuisine. The near perfect combination of spiciness and creaminess of its gravy makes it simply irresistible and versatile to be served with any Indian bread. Whether you serve it with tandoori roti, naan and paneer kulcha or with steamed rice, it’s going to satisfy your palate like never before. Follow our step by step photo recipe to make this best vegetarian dish for lunch.
Paneer Butter Masala Video
More Curry Recipes
Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 30 minutes
Serves: 3 servings
|250 gms Paneer (or Tofu), cut into 1-inch cubes|
|2 medium Onions, finely chopped|
|1½ teaspoons chopped Ginger|
|3-4 Garlic Cloves|
|3 medium Tomatoes|
|6-8 Cashew Nuts, soaked in water for 15 minutes|
|1 small piece of Bay Leaf|
|2 Green Chillies, slit lengthwise|
|1/2 cup Full Fat Milk|
|2 teaspoons Kasuri Methi (dry fenugreek leaves)|
|1/2 teaspoon Garam Masala Powder|
|1 tablespoon Coriander Powder|
|1 teaspoon or to taste Red Chili Powder|
|2 tablespoons Fresh Cream (or homemade malai)|
|2 tablespoons Butter|
|2 tablespoons Oil|
|Salt to taste|
- If you are using frozen paneer cubes, then defrost them.
- Grind 2 medium onion (chopped), 1½ teaspoons chopped ginger and 3-4 garlic in a grinder and make onion paste. Grind 6-8 soaked cashew nuts with 2 tablespoons water to make cashew nut paste. Make the tomato puree by crushing the 3 medium tomatoes in the blender or mixer grinder. You can blanch the tomatoes before making the puree for better result.
- Heat 2 tablespoons cooking oil and 2 tablespoons butter in a non-stick frying pan over medium flame. Add onion paste and1 small bay leaf and sauté until onion paste turns light brown for approx. 4-5 minutes.
- Add 2 green chillies and 1 teaspoon red chili powder and sauté for 30-40 seconds. Add cashew nut paste.
- Stir and cook for 2-minutes.
- Add tomato puree and cook until oil starts to separate from the puree, it will take around 3-4 minutes.
- Add 1 tablespoon coriander powder and 1/2 teaspoon garam masala powder and mix well.
- Add 1/2 cup milk, 1/2 cup water and salt; mix and cook until oil comes on the surface or for approx. 4-5 minutes.
- Add 250 gms paneer cubes, 2 teaspoons kasuri methi and cook for approx. 2-minutes or until you get the desired consistency of gravy.
- Add 2 tablespoons fresh cream.
- Mix properly and turn off the flame.
- Transfer prepared curry to a serving bowl. Garnish Punjabi paneer butter masala with milk cream or cube of butter and serve.
Cooking Tips and Variations:
- Add 1/2 cup water in step-8 and cook for 3-4 minutes if gravy is too thick.
- You can also use chopped onion instead of using crushed onion for variation.
- You can also add shallow fried paneer cubes. Spread good quality paper napkin or kitchen paper on plate and put shallow fried paneer cubes on it to soak and remove excess oil from it to make relatively healthy low oil curry.
- If you like creamier gravy, then add more milk cream in step-10. Alternatively, if you do not like creamy taste, then you can altogether avoid using cream.
- Paneer is used in this traditional indian curry recipe however, you can use tofu if paneer is not available.
Serving Ideas: Serve delicious paneer butter masala with naan, paratha, roti or jeera rice for lunch or dinner. The creaminess of gravy and richness of paneer makes it an ideal spicy curry for functions and parties. It particularly tastes best when served with methi roti and glass of lassi.