Salted Lassi is the perfect cooling beverage to serve in the hot summer season to subside the effect of heat. This yogurt based salted drink is very easy to make and requires minimal ingredients. Just whisk the yogurt with roasted cumin powder, salt and water to make this basic simple lassi and then flavor it with chopped mint leaves or chaat masala powder as per your preference.
This yogurt lassi tastes salty but if you like the sweet taste in lassi then you can try mango lassi, plain sweet lassi, strawberry lassi, fruit lassi etc. Apart from that, you can also try the shrikhand (a yogurt based sweet dessert) in summer. Learn how to make this salted plain lassi in less than 10 minutes by following the below given recipe with step by step photos.
More North Indian Recipes
Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Serves: 2 servings
|2 cups Plain Curd (yogurt/dahi) (500 ml)|
|1/2 teaspoon Roasted Cumin Powder|
|Salt, to taste|
|1/2 cup Water|
- Take 2 cups(500 ml) curd in a deep bowl.
- Add 1/2 teaspoon roasted cumin powder.
- Add salt to taste.
- Whisk it using a mathani or a wired whisk or an electric hand blender until smooth and creamy.
- Add 1/2 cup water.
- Whisk again until a nice frothy layer on top. Check the consistency of lassi and add more water if you like the thin consistency. Pour into two individual serving glasses and garnish with chopped coriander leaves (or mint leaves) and roasted cumin powder.
Tips and Variations:
- To roast the cumin seeds, dry roast them in a pan until they are golden brown and release a nice aroma. Let them cool at room temperature and then grind them using a mixer grinder or a mortar and pestle.
- Use the full fat curd and make sure that it doesn’t taste sour.
- Use a mathani or a wired whisk instead of electric blender to make the lassi.
- For variation, add a pinch of dried mint leaves (or 1 tablespoon chopped fresh mint leaves) and 1 tablespoon chopped coriander leaves.
- For variation, add a pinch of chaat masala powder or balck salt (kala namak).
- Add more water to dilute the lassi and less water for thick lassi.
Serving Ideas: Salted lassi is the perfect cooling beverage during hot summer days. It can be also served with the meal.