Cucumber Raita is a yummy and healthy accompaniment that can be served with all types of Indian meals and can be prepared in just few minutes with bare minimum ingredients. This recipe prepares delicious raita with thick curd, cucumber, green chilli, salt and pinch of cumin powder.
|1 cup Thick Curd (Yogurt)|
|1/2 small Cucumber|
|1 Green Chilli, finely chopped|
|1/2 teaspoon Cumin Powder|
|1 tablespoon finely chopped Coriander Leaves|
|Salt to taste|
- Wash the cucumber and peel it. Taste the cucumber before making the raita as sometimes it tastes bitter. Cut it into two parts and remove the seeds. Grate it using a grater.
- Take curd and salt in small bowl and beat it lightly until smooth.
- Add grated cucumber and green chilli in beaten curd and mix well.
- Transfer it to a serving bowl and garnish with cumin powder and coriander leaves.
Tips and Variations:
- Do not use electric blender to beat the curd because it will make curd thin. Use spoon or wire whisk to beat the curd.
- Do not use sour and watery curd as it will ruin both taste and texture.
- Add 1/4 teaspoon red chilli powder and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper powder to give it a spicy and aromatic touch.
- Add 1/3 cup finely chopped onion to make South Indian style cucumber onion raita.
- Add 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh mint leaves for refreshingly minty flavor.
Taste: Salty with mild aroma of cumin powder.