More Curry Recipes
|250 gms (1/2 lb) Paneer (cottage cheese)|
|3 medium Tomatoes, chopped|
|2 medium Onions|
|6-8 Cashew Nuts|
|4-5 Garlic cloves|
|1 Bay Leaf|
|2 Black Cardamoms|
|1 Green Chilli, chopped|
|1/2 teaspoon Kasuri Methi|
|1/4 teaspoon Garam Masala|
|1/4 teaspoon Turmeric Powder|
|1/2 teaspoon Red Chilli Powder|
|1 teaspoon Coriander-Cumin Powder|
|1/2 cup Fresh Cream|
|1/2 cup Water|
|2½ tablespoons + 1 tablespoon Oil|
|2 tablespoons Fresh Coriander Leaves|
- Grind raw cashew nuts in the small jar of a grinder until smooth powder and mix with 1½ tablespoons water to make cashew nut paste. Crush ginger, garlic and green chilli in the same jar of grinder to make ginger-garlic-chilli paste.
- Blanch the onions and make onion puree. (Cut onion into big pieces and cook in hot water for 4-5 minutes. Drain water and crush onion in a grinder to make onion puree.) Make tomato puree by crushing tomatoes in the small jar of grinder.
- Cut paneer into 2-inch squares (1/4 inch thick). Cut each square diagonally into two triangles. Heat 2½ tablespoons oil in a pan over medium flame. Shallow fry paneer cubes until its edges become light brown. Drain them and place them on paper napkin to absorb excess oil.
- Heat remaining 1-tablespoon oil in the same pan over medium flame. Add ginger-garlic-chilli paste, bay leaf and cardamom in heated oil, sauté for few seconds.
- Add onion puree (prepared in step 1) and sauté until it turns light brown and oil starts to separate, approx. 2-3 minutes.
- Add tomato puree and sauté until oil starts to separate from sides; it takes approx. 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add cashew nut paste and sauté for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add turmeric powder, red chilli powder, garam masala, cumin-coriander powder and salt. Mix well and cook for a minute. Add 3/4 cup water.
- Bring mixture to a boil. When it starts boiling, let it cook for 4 to 5 minutes. Add kasuri methi and shallow fried paneer cubes.
- Mix well and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add fresh cream, mix well and cook for 2 minutes.
- Turn off the flame and let curry stand for 5 minutes.
- Transfer prepared paneer pasanda in a serving bowl and garnish with green coriander leaves.
- You can also cut paneer into cubes instead of triangles.
- Cashew nuts paste gives thick and creamy texture to the gravy. You can replace it with poppy seed paste (soak poppy seeds in water and crush them to make a paste).
- Use grated or finely chopped onion instead of its puree to get a different texture.
- Add 1/2 cup boiled mutter or shallow fried capsicum pieces in step-9 to make best paneer pasanda curry with gravy.