There are many varieties and preparation of aloo sabzi. Most notable ones are with gravy and without gravy. This recipe of aloo ki sabzi uses a curd to make delicious gravy.
Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 15 minutes
Serves: 3 servings
|4 medium Potatoes, boiled in salted water|
|1/2 teaspoon Ginger, chopped|
|1 Green Chilli, chopped|
|4 Garlic Cloves|
|1 teaspoon Cumin Seeds (jeera)|
|1 small piece of Bay Leaf|
|4 tablespoons Peanuts, coarsely crushed|
|1/4 teaspoon Sesame Seeds|
|1 teaspoon Red Chilli Powder|
|1/4 teaspoon Turmeric Powder (haldi)|
|1/2 cup Fresh Curd, beaten|
|1 teaspoon Sugar (optional)|
|3½ tablespoons Cooking Oil|
|2 tablespoons Fresh Coriander Leaves, chopped|
- Peel and cut boiled potatoes into 1-inch cubes. Make a paste of ginger, garlic and green chilli in a grinder.
- Heat oil in a kadai over medium heat and add cumin seeds. When it begins to splutter, add ginger-garlic-green chilli paste and bay leaf and sauté for a minute.
- Add coarsely crushed peanuts and sesame seeds, sauté them for 1 minute.
- Add red chilli powder and turmeric powder, mix well.
- Add beaten curd, sugar and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Add chopped potatoes and salt to taste (only for gravy), stir well.
- Cook covered for 3-4 minutes while stirring occasionally in between to prevent it from sticking and burning.
- Add fresh coriander leaves and turn off the heat.
- Transfer prepared sabzi to a serving plate and serve.
Tips and Variations:
- Make sure, curd is not sour otherwise curry will taste sour.
- If you want to prepare a sabzi with more gravy, then add 1/2 cup water in step-7 and cook covered until you get the desired consistency.
- Adjust the quantity of green chillies, garlic and ginger to make it as spicy as you like.
- Sugar adds some difference to its overall taste, however, if you do not like mild sweet touch to this Indian subzi, then avoid it.
Taste: Spicy and mild tangy
Serving Ideas: Aloo ki sabzi is a universal mix and match Indian sabzi which goes well with many types of Indian breads. Many people like to eat it by itself.