Aloo methi sabji is prepared in two different styles, with gravy and without gravy. This recipe is for making aloo and methi sabzi with garlic flavored gram flour based gravy. Follow the given recipe to make this curry at home within few minutes.
Preparation Time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 10 minutes
Serves: 3 servings
|1½ cups boiled and cubed Potatoes|
|2½ cups Fresh Fenugreek Leaves (Methi), cleaned and chopped|
|1/2 teaspoon Cumin Seeds (jeera)|
|1 Onion, finely chopped|
|5 cloves of Garlic, finely chopped|
|1 teaspoon grated Ginger|
|1 Tomato, finely chopped|
|1 teaspoon Red Chilli Powder (lal mirch)|
|2 teaspoons Coriander Powder|
|1/4 teaspoon Turmeric Powder (haldi)|
|2 teaspoons Gram Flour (besan)|
|1 teaspoon Lemon Juice|
|1 teaspoon Sugar (optional)|
|1½ tablespoons Cooking Oil|
|Salt to taste|
Note: Add salt while boiling potatoes to get evenly taste.
- Wash chopped fenugreek leaves in water and drain.
- Heat oil in a kadai over medium flame. Add cumin seeds; when they begin to crackle, add chopped onion and sauté until it becomes translucent. Add chopped garlic and grated ginger, sauté for 30-40 seconds.
- Add chopped tomato and sauté until it turns tender for approx. 2-minutes.
- Add and mix red chilli powder, coriander powder and turmeric powder.
- Add potato cubes and stir well.
- Stir and cook for approx. 1-minute.
- Add chopped fenugreek leaves and salt to taste.
- Stir and cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Mix gram flour in 3/4 cup water and add it in potato and methi mixture. Add lemon juice and sugar. Bring it to a boil on medium flame.
- When it starts boiling, reduce flame to low and cook until desired consistency of gravy. Keep stirring in between to make sure that sabzi does not burn and stick at the bottom of pan or kadai.
- Turn off the flame and transfer aloo methi gravy sabzi in a serving bowl. Serve hot.
Tips and Variations:
- Adjust the quantity of sugar and lemon juice to get desired mild sweet and sour taste.
- Add more water to make thin gravy and add less water to make thick gravy in step-9.
Taste: Spicy and mild tangy tomato taste with nice flavor of fenugreek leaves.
Serving Ideas: Serve it with either chapati or paratha, rice khichdi and kadhi as a healthy food in dinner.