The delicious Punjabi dum aloo is one of the most coveted potato curry recipes of Indian cooking. This curry is a life saver when guests come suddenly around lunch time and you don’t have any green vegetables at home to make curry, because this curry is easy to make and it requires two main ingredients, potatoes and curd which are always available in most of the Indian kitchens. Follow this recipe and learn how to make mouth watering truly punjabi style dum aloo with curd based kasuri methi flavored gravy at home in just few easy steps.
More Curry Recipes
|15 small Potatoes, boiled in salted water|
|1 large Onion, finely chopped|
|3/4 cup thick Curd (yogurt)|
|1 Bay Leaf|
|1 pinch Asafoetida|
|1 teaspoon Red Chilli Powder|
|1/4 teaspoon Turmeric Powder|
|1 tablespoon Ginger Garlic Paste|
|1 tablespoon Coriander Seeds|
|1/2 teaspoon Cumin Seeds|
|1 pod Green Cardamom|
|1 small piece of Cinnamon|
|8-10 Cashew Nuts|
|1/2 tablespoon Kasuri Methi (Dried Fenugreek Leaves)|
|1 teaspoon Sugar (optional)|
|5 tablespoons Cooking Oil|
|2 tablespoons Coriander Leaves, chopped|
- Peel boiled potatoes and prick them with a fork.
- Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a pan. Add boiled potatoes and shallow fry them over medium flame until they turn light brown. Drain and transfer to a plate.
- Grind coriander seeds, cumin seeds, cardamom pod, cinnamon, cloves and cashew nuts into a dry mix powder. Keep aside until called for use.
- Heat remaining 3 tablespoons oil in the same kadai over medium flame. Add a pinch of asafoetida, bay leaves and finely chopped onion. Sauté until onion turns light brown or for approx. 1-2 minutes. Add ginger garlic paste and sauté for 30 seconds.
- Add dry mix powder (prepared in step 3) and sauté for a minute.
- Beat the curd, slowly add it to kadai and mix well.
- Add turmeric powder and red chilli powder and mix again. Stir continuously until oil starts to separate, for around 2-3 minutes.
- Add shallow fried potatoes, kasuri methi, sugar and salt, cook on low flame for 2 minutes.
- Add 3/4 cup water and bring it to boil over medium flame.
- When it starts to boil, cook covered on low flame until you get the desired consistency of gravy, it will take around 3-4 minutes. Turn off the flame and transfer it to a serving bowl.
- Garnish punjabi dum aloo with coriander leaves and serve hot.
Tips and Variations:
- For authentic taste, deep fry raw potatoes instead of shallow frying boiled potatoes.
- Use groundnut oil for aromatic flavor.
- Make sure that curd is not sour otherwise curry will taste sour.
Taste: Nice aroma of spices with a touch of kasuri methi and curd based gravy.