Its names itself makes juices flowing in mouth and makes one feel hungry. Simple yet delicious aloo jeera fry is one of the best quick Indian dinner recipes that can be made in minutes and paired up well with almost all Indian breads. This easy vegan recipe of jeera aloo uses routine Indian curry spices. However, what sets it apart from other aloo curry recipes is its dry yet delicately spicy taste and finely balanced mixture of spices that bring out unique aroma of pan fried jeera (zeera, cumin) seeds. It’s simply irresistible.
|4 medium Potatoes, boiled, peeled and chopped into cubes
|1 teaspoon Cumin Seeds (jeera)
|1/2 teaspoon Red Chilli Powder
|1/4 teaspoon Turmeric Powder
|1 tablespoon Cumin-Coriander Powder
|1 Green Chilli, finely chopped
|1/2 teaspoon Dry Mango Powder or Lemon Juice
|2 tablespoons Oil
|2 tablespoons finely chopped Coriander Leaves
|Salt to taste
- Heat oil in a non-stick pan or a kadai over medium flame. Add cumin seeds; when they start to crackle, add green chilli and sauté for 30-40 seconds.
- Add red chilli powder, turmeric powder, cumin-coriander powder, dry mango powder and salt (If you have added salt while boiling potatoes, then taste one boiled potato piece and add salt only if required.)
- Mix well.
- Add boiled potato pieces.
- Mix well until potato pieces are evenly coated with masala. Cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Turn off the flame. Add coriander leaves and mix well. Transfer prepared aloo jeera fry to a serving bowl and serve hot with poori or paratha and plain curd.
Tips and Variations:
- Add salt while boiling potatoes to enhance the flavor of it.
- You can also use 10-12 baby potatoes in place of medium size potatoes to make jeera aloo.
- Add 1/4 teaspoon garam masala in step-4 to make it spicy.
Taste: Mild spicy and savory
Serving Ideas: It is one of the best aloo curry recipes as well as one of the easy vegan recipes that can be prepared in minutes for quick Indian dinner or lunch. Serve it with chapati or simple paratha and boondi raita for the best palate satisfying experience. Kids love to eat potato in any form; serve less spicy jeera aloo to kids.