Aloo Capsicum Curry Recipe (with Step by Step Photos)
Aloo and capsicum are two main ingredients of Indian cooking and make many delicious dishes and curries. Aloo capsicum is one such North Indian curry, which is not just easy to prepare but very palatable too. Learn how to make it using simple Indian curry spices with this easy recipe.
Aloo Capsicum Curry Video
More Curry Recipes
Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 15 minutes
Serves: 4 servings
|2 medium Potatoes, boiled, peeled and cubed|
|3 medium Capsicums|
|2 medium Onions, chopped|
|1 medium Tomato, chopped|
|2 tablespoons Cashew Nuts|
|1/2 teaspoon Ginger, grated|
|3-4 cloves Garlic|
|1 teaspoon Dry Coriander Seeds|
|1/4 teaspoon Cumin Seeds|
|1/4 teaspoon Garam Masala Powder|
|1 teaspoon Red Chilli Powder (lal mirch)|
|1/4 teaspoon Turmeric Powder (haldi)|
|2½ tablespoons Cooking Oil|
|1 teaspoon Sugar, optional|
|1/2 cup Water|
- Take tomato, cashew nuts, ginger, garlic, coriander seeds and cumin seeds in a mixer jar to prepare puree.
- Grind them with 1/4 cup water and make a puree.
- Take a kadai and heat 1 tablespoon oil. Add chopped capsicum, sprinkle salt over it and sauté on medium heat for 3-4 minutes. Transfer to a plate and keep aside.
- Add remaining 1½ tablespoons oil in same kadai and sauté chopped onion until it turns light brown. Add red chilli powder, turmeric powder and garam masala, mix well.
- Add puree (prepared in step 1), salt and sugar; cook on low to medium heat until oil starts to separate from it (It will take around 5-6 minutes).
- Add boiled and cubed potatoes and cooked capsicum, stir and mix well.
- Add 1/2 cup water and let mixture cook over medium flame.
- Cook for 3-4 minutes or until gravy turns thick. Turn off the heat and transfer aloo and capsicum curry to a serving bowl.
Tips and Variations:
- Add 2 chopped green chillies while making a puree in step 1 to make a spicy curry.
- If you want to serve this spicy and delicious curry in a party, then prepare it 2-3 hours in advance. This setting time will allow all flavors of spices to come out and mingle with each other, giving it a unique aromatic taste.
- Add 1 teaspoon kasuri methi (dry fenugreek leaves) to give it a Punjabi touch.
Taste: This capsicum aloo curry tastes spicy and mild tangy and has nice gravy texture.
Serving Ideas: It can be served with tandoori roti, chapati, butter naan or steamed rice for lunch or dinner.