|100 gms Paneer (cottage cheese), cubed|
|3 medium Capsicums, cut into 1-inch square pieces, (approx. 1 कप)|
|2 medium Tomatoes, crushed|
|2 medium Onions, finely chopped|
|1/2 teaspoon finely chopped Ginger|
|1 tablespoon grated Dry or Fresh Coconut|
|1/2 tablespoon Dry Coriander Seeds|
|4 Cashew Nuts, roughly chopped|
|1/2 teaspoon Poppy Seeds (khus khus), optional|
|1 Dry Kashmiri Red Chili, halved|
|1/2 teaspoon Cumin Seeds|
|1/8 teaspoon Turmeric Powder|
|1/2 teaspoon Red Chili Powder|
|1/4 teaspoon Garam Masala Powder|
|3/4 cup Water|
|1/2 teaspoon Kasuri Methi|
|2 tablespoons Fresh Cream, optional|
|3 tablespoons Oil or Butter|
|1/2 teaspoon or to taste Salt|
- Heat 1/2 tablespoon oil in a heavy based pan over medium flame. Add chopped capsicum and sprinkle some salt over it (salt will make them tender). Shallow fry over medium flame until tender but still crunchy or for approx. 3-4 minutes. Transfer them to plate and keep aside until needed.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in the same pan over medium flame. Add chopped ginger, grated coconut, dry coriander seeds, cashew nuts, poppy seeds, dry kashmiri red chilli and cumin seeds and sauté for 30-40 seconds. Add chopped onion sauté until it turns light brown. Turn off the flame, transfer mixture to a bowl and let it cool for 3-4 minutes. Transfer it to a grinder jar and grind to a medium coarse paste.
- Heat remaining 1½ tablespoons oil in the same pan over medium flame. When oil is medium hot, add prepared paste.
- Stir-fry the paste until light brown, 3-4 minutes.
- Add red chili powder, turmeric powder and mix well.
- Add crushed tomato puree.
- Stir fry for 3-4 minutes.
- Add garam masala powder, salt and 3/4 cup water. Bring mixture to a boil over medium flame. When it starts boiling, cook it for 2-3 minutes.
- Add capsicum, paneer cubes and kasuri methi and cook for 2 minutes. Stir occasionally in between.
- Add fresh cream.
- Mix well and turn off the flame. Transfer prepared paneer capsicum masala to a serving bowl and serve with butter kulcha.
- If you are using frozen paneer cubes then soak them in warm water for 10 minutes and drain before using.
- Fresh cream is an optional ingredient in this curry, you can use or avoid it as per availability or preference.
- Replace paneer with potato (sliced and boiled) for simple curry with gravy.