Dry and spicy aloo matar is one of the classic Indian curry recipes with a fusion of potato and healthy green peas. This is such a common recipe that you will find this on every Indian restaurant’s menu cards. Learn how to make simple yet delightful curry from potato, green peas and Indian spices having taste as good as restaurant one with this dry aloo mutter recipe.
More Curry Recipes
Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 25 minutes
Serves: 3 servings
|2 cups chopped Potato cubes|
|2/3 cup fresh or frozen Green Peas|
|1 large Onion, finely chopped|
|4 cloves Garlic, minced or crushed|
|1-2 Green Chillies, finely chopped|
|1/2 tablespoon grated Ginger|
|2-3 Tomato, crushed or finely chopped|
|1/2 teaspoon Cumin Seeds (jeera)|
|1 teaspoon Coriander Powder (dhania powder)|
|1/2 teaspoon Red Chilli Powder (lal mirch)|
|1/4 teaspoon Turmeric Powder (haldi)|
|2 tablespoons Cooking Oil|
|2 tablespoons Fresh Coriander Leaves, chopped|
- Heat oil in a kadai over medium flame and add cumin seeds in it. When they begin to splutter, add finely chopped onion and sauté until onion turns light brown. Add minced garlic, chopped green chilli and grated ginger, sauté for 30 seconds.
- Add and mix crushed tomato.
- Stir and cook until oil starts to separate for approx. 2-3 minutes.
- Add cubed potatoes, turmeric powder, red chilli powder, coriander powder and salt.
- Stir and cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Add 1/2 cup water and let it boil. Reduce flame to low and cook covered for 7-8 minutes. Stir in between 2-times to prevent sticking.
- Add green peas and another 1/3 cup water and mix well.
- Cover with the lid and cook until potatoes and peas are fully cooked and almost moisture is absorbed (about 12-15 minutes). Add more water if required and stir occasionally in between to avoid sticking.
- Turn off the heat and garnish it with freshly chopped coriander leaves. Spicy dry aloo mutter is ready. Serve it hot.
Tips and Variations:
- Use pre boiled peas and pre boiled potatoes to make it in just a few minutes.
Serving Ideas: Serve it with phulka roti or plain paratha in lunch or dinner.