More Curry Recipes
|1 cup Paneer (cottage cheese), cubed into 1½-inch pieces|
|1 medium Onion, finely chopped or grated|
|1/2 cup Curd (yogurt) (not sour)|
|1/4 cup fresh or dry grated Coconut|
|1/2 teaspoon grated Ginger|
|1 Green Chilli, seeded and chopped|
|8 Cashew Nuts|
|1 teaspoon Poppy Seeds (khus khus), optional (or cashew nuts)|
|1 small piece of Bay Leaf|
|1 Green Cardamom|
|2-3 Black Peppercorns|
|1/2 teaspoon Red Chilli Powder|
|1/4 teaspoon Turmeric Powder|
|1 teaspoon Coriander Powder|
|1 teaspoon Sugar|
|1½ tablespoons Cooking Oil|
|2 tablespoons finely chopped Coriander Leaves|
|Salt to taste|
|3/4 cup Water|
- Add yogurt, coconut, ginger, green chilli, cashew nuts and poppy seeds in a small chutney jar of the grinder.
- Grind them to make a thick paste. Transfer it to a small bowl and keep aside until required.
- Heat 1-tablespoon oil in a non-stick pan or heavy based pan (kadai) over medium flame. Add paneer cubes and shallow fry them until light brown. Transfer them to a plate.
- Heat remaining 1/2 tablespoon oil in the same pan over medium flame. Add bay leaf, green cardamom and black peppercorns, sauté them for 10-20 seconds. Add chopped onion and sauté until light brown. It will take approx. 1½-2 minutes.
- Add red chilli powder, turmeric powder, coriander powder and mix well.
- Add yogurt-coconut-cashew nut paste (prepared in step-2), sugar and salt.
- Stir well and cook for a minute.
- Add 3/4 cup water and mix well. Cook for approx. 3-minutes, stir in between occasionally to prevent sticking.
- Add paneer cubes.
- Make sure, yogurt is not sour as it makes the curry sour.
- If poppy seeds are not available, replace it with watermelon seeds or simply add more cashew nuts. Poppy seeds are used for making the gravy thick and creamy.
- Add 1/4 cup more water in step-9 if you like thin gravy in this north Indian dish.
- If you are using frozen paneer cubes, then soak them in hot water for 10 minutes before using.
- Shallow fry paneer cubes (fry until light brown) in butter or ghee (instead of oil) for nice aromatic variation.