|1/3 cup Tuvar Dal (toor dal/arhar dal/pigeon pea lentils)|
|1/4 teaspoon Fenugreek Seeds|
|1/2 teaspoon Mustard Seeds|
|1/2 teaspoon Cumin Seeds|
|2-inch piece of Cinnamon Stick, optional|
|2-3 Cloves, optional|
|1 Star Anise, optional (chakra phool/badiya)|
|1 pinch of Asafoetida (Hing)|
|1 Dry Red Chilli, halved, optional|
|1 teaspoon Ginger, grated|
|1 Green Chilli, finely chopped|
|1/2 medium Tomato, finely chopped|
|5-6 Curry Leaves|
|1/4 teaspoon Turmeric Powder (Haldi)|
|1/2 teaspoon Red Chilli Powder (Lal Mirch)|
|2 teaspoons Lemon Juice|
|2½ teaspoons Sugar|
|Salt to taste|
|1 tablespoon Oil|
|2 tablespoons finely chopped Coriander Leaves|
- Wash tuvar dal 2-3 times in hot water. Drain it and transfer to a 3-litre capacity steel or aluminum pressure cooker.
- Add 1 cup water and salt and pressure cook on low to medium flame for 3-4 whistles. Turn off the flame. Let the pressure releases naturally. Open the lid and check he dal. It should become smooth and soft after pressure cooking.
- Let it cool down for a few minutes. Blend it using a hand held blender until smooth puree. Add 1 cup water in puree and blend again.
- Heat oil in a pan or kadai over medium flame. Add 1/4 teaspoon fenugreek seeds and 1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds. When seeds begin to crackle, add 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds, 2-3 cloves, 2-inch piece of cinnamon, 1 star anise and a pinch of hing (asafoetida).
- When cloves begin to crackle, add 1 dry red chilli, 1 teaspoon grated ginger, 1 chopped green chilli, 1/2 chopped tomato and 5-6 curry leaves. Let them cook for few seconds.
- Add pureed dal.
- Add 2½ teaspoons sugar, 2 teaspoons lemon juice, 1/2 teaspoon red chilli powder and 1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder, mix and bring it to a boil. When it starts boiling, reduce flame to low and let it cook for 7-8 minutes. Taste the dal and if required, add more sugar, lemon juice or salt to get the khatta meetha taste as per your preference.
- Turn off the flame. Transfer it to a serving bowl and garnish with chopped coriander leaves. Serve with steamed rice and papad in lunch or dinner.
- Add less water to make it thick and more water to make it diluted.
- Add sugar and lime juice according to your taste to make it more tangy.
- Add some raw groundnuts while boiling to make it more tasty.
- Soak dal for 20 minutes in hot water before cooking to cook faster.
- You can use less oil (only 1 teaspoon oil) for tempering.