Palak Pulao (Spinach Rice) Recipe (with Step by Step Photos)
Palak Pulao (spinach rice) is not only an easy to prepare vegetarian rice dish but also a healthy way to get all goodness of spinach. This step by step photo recipe of palak pulao uses both spinach puree and chopped spinach for nice color, flavor and texture; The sweet corns gives it tempting look while carefully chosen cooking spices gave it an irresistible aromatic flavor and taste. With this recipe’s tips, variations and serving ideas, making palak rice pulav at home and enjoying a healthier meal is super easy.
More Dinner Recipes
Preparation Time: 20 minutes
Cooking Time: 20 minutes
Serves: 3 servings
|1/2 cup Long Grained rice (basmati rice)|
|1½ cups chopped Palak (spinach)|
|1/4 cup Sweet Corn Kernels (fresh or frozen)|
|1 small piece of Bay Leaf, optional|
|2-inch piece of Cinnamon|
|1 large Onion, thinly sliced|
|1½ teaspoons Ginger-Garlic Paste( or crushed)|
|1 Green Chili, finely chopped|
|Salt to taste|
|1/2 tablespoons Ghee|
|1 tablespoon Oil|
Notes: If you are going to use fresh sweet corn kernels then parboil them before using (boil them in water until half-cooked). In this recipe, frozen sweet corn kernels are used.Directions:
- Rinse rice in water for 4-5 times and then soak it in water for 15 minutes.
- Boil 1-cup spinach in hot water for 2 minutes. Drain the spinach using slotted spoon and transfer into the cold water. Drain again and crush with 2 tablespoons water using mixer-grinder into spinach puree.
- Heat ghee and oil together in a non-stick pan or heavy based pan. Add cinnamon and bay leaf in same pan and sauté for 30 seconds. Add sliced onion and sauté until onion turns light brown. Add crushed ginger-garlic and green chilli and sauté for 30-40 seconds.
- Add spinach puree, 1/2 cup chopped spinach and sweet corn kernels.
- Stir and cook it for 2-3 minutes over medium flame.
- Drain excess water from soaked rice and add into the cooked mixture.
- Mix well. Stir continuously and cook for a minute.
- Add 1¼ cups water and salt. Mix and bring it to boil over medium flame.
- When it comes to boil, reduce flame to low and cook covered over low flame for 10 minutes. Do not open the lid in between otherwise rice grain may not cook properly. Turn off flame and let it settle (keep covered) for 7-8 minutes. Now, open the lid and fluff the rice gently with fork to separate each rice grain.
- Transfer prepared Palak Pulao into the serving bowl, garnish with fried cashew nuts and serve.
Tips and Variations:
- Add palak in any one of the form (1.pureed and chopped 2. only pureed or 3.only chopped) to prepare this healthy rice dish in various ways.
- To make it spicy, double the quantity of green chilli and ginger-garlic paste.
- To make the palak pulao in pressure cooker, use 2-3 liter capacity aluminum or steel pressure cooker and cook it over medium flame for 3-whistles. Open the cooker after pressure releases naturally and fluff the rice with a fork.
Taste: Mild spicy with nice spinach flavor
Serving Ideas: Serve it hot with plain curd, yellow daal tadka or punjabi pakora kadhi. This healthy rice dish is ideal for your kid’s lunch box.