You need only 3 ingredients to make a cheese sandwich that has crispy buttery bread with melted gooey cheese inside. This grilled sandwich can be made using a sandwich maker (toaster) or on a stovetop using a skillet. The secret behind making the best sandwich is the use of perfect cheese and bread and some patience to cook the sandwich on slow flame if you are following a stovetop method.
|4 slices of White Bread or Sourdough Bread or Brown Bread
|4 slices of Mild/Medium Cheddar Cheese or American Cheese or Mozzarella Cheese or Pepper Jack Cheese
|2 tablespoons Butter
Note:How to Make Cheese Sandwich in a Toaster (sandwich maker):
- You can use any one type of cheese (Cheddar Cheese or American Cheese or Mozzarella Cheese or Pepper Jack Cheese) or you can mix and match like one slice of cheddar cheese and one slice of pepper jack cheese.
- Take 4 bread slices and 4 cheese slices (Cheddar Cheese or American Cheese or Mozzarella Cheese or Pepper Jack Cheese).
- Spread approx. 1/2 tablespoon butter evenly only on one side on each one. Put 2 bread slices on a plate and keep the side with butter facing down.
- Put 2 cheese slices on each of them.
- Cover them with remaining bread slices keep the side with butter facing up. Preheat the sandwich toaster. Put the assembled sandwiches in it.
- Toast them until the outside is golden and crispy.
- Transfer them to a plate and cut into triangles. Serve cheese sandwich with tomato ketchup or hot tomato soup.
- How to Make Cheese Sandwich on Stovetop:
- Put assembled sandwiches in a cold skillet and then turn on the heat over low flame.
- Cook until the bottom is golden and crispy, it will take approx. 2-3 minutes. Don’t increase the heat while cooking otherwise sandwich will turn brown fast but not crispy.
- Flip the sandwich using a spatula and cook another side until the bottom turns crispy and golden, it will take less time on this side.
- Transfer the sandwich to a plate. The Cheese sandwich is ready.
Tips and Variations:
- White bread and sour dough bread work best for this recipe.
- For variation, add sliced bell pepper (capsicum), sliced onion, or dill pickle along with cheese.
- For a sweet version of this sandwich, add your favorite jam or jelly.
- If you are following the stovetop method, use a little thick skillet and cook on a slow flame only to make the sandwich evenly golden and crispy.
Serving Ideas: Serve cheese sandwich with roasted tomato soup for dinner.