Cheese paratha is a flat shallow fried Indian bread made from whole wheat flour and stuffed with cheese, spices, coriander leaves, etc. This cheesy bread is the perfect recipe for a kid’s lunchbox and breakfast. When you want something healthy yet different from routine days recipes for lunch or dinner, make this cheesy paratha by following the below given step by step recipe.
|1 cup Whole Wheat Flour + more for dusting
|1 cup grated Cheese (mozzarella or cheddar or processed)
|1 large Potato (boiled, peeled and grated or mashed), optional
|1/4 teaspoon Black Pepper Powder or Red Chilli Flakes or Red Chilli Powder
|1/4 teaspoon Chaat Masala or Dry Mango Powder (amchur powder)
|1 teaspoon Cumin-Coriander Powder
|2 tablespoons finely chopped Coriander Leaves
|3 teaspoons Oil + for shallow frying
|Salt, to taste
- Take 1-cup wheat flour, 2 teaspoons oil and salt in a large bowl. Add water as required (in small quantities) and knead to make a pliable soft dough (like chapatti dough).
- Apply 1 teaspoon oil over the dough surface and knead again until smooth. Cover the dough with a muslin cloth or a plate and set aside for 10 minutes to rest it at room temperature.
- Meanwhile, prepare the stuffing. Take 1 large potato (boiled, peeled and grated) in a medium bowl.
- Add 1 cup grated cheese, 1/4 teaspoon black pepper powder, 1/4 teaspoon chaat masala powder, 1 teaspoon cumin-coriander powder, 2 tablespoons finely chopped coriander leaves and salt to taste.
- Mix them properly. Divide it into 3-equal portions.
- Divide dough into 3 equal portions and make round shaped flat patties from it. Take 1/4 cup wheat flour in a wide plate for dusting. Take one pattie, coat it with dry flour and put it on the rolling board.
- Roll it out into a circle with 4-5 inch diameter. Put one portion of stuffing over the rolled circle and spread it evenly in the half as shown in the picture.
- Cover it with another half and press the edges gently to seal them. Cut it into 2 equal portions using a knife.
- Again seal the edge by pressing it gently.
- Take one triangle shaped pattie, coat it with dry flour and again roll it out using a rolling pin into a triangle shaped paratha. Keep it a little thick, don’t roll it out into a very thin paratha.
- Heat tava / griddle over medium flame. When it is medium hot, place rolled paratha over it.
- Flip and spread 1/2 teaspoon oil evenly and cook for 30-40 seconds.
- Flip it and spread 1/2 teaspoon oil evenly, cook for 30-40 seconds. Cook until golden brown spots appear on both sides. Transfer it to a plate and do the same process for reaming dough balls to prepare parathas.
- Cheese Paratha is ready to serve with tomato chutney or ketchup.
Tips and Variations:
- In this recipe, I used the mozzarella string cheese and used the food processor to finely chop it instead of grating.
- You can prepare stuffing in advance and store it in the refrigerator in a container.
- For variation, add 1 green chilli and 1/4 cup finely chopped red onion or green onion in stuffing.
- For variation, add paneer instead of potato to make paneer paratha with cheese.
Taste: Salty, cheesy and mild spicy
Serving Ideas: Serve this paratha with green coriander chutney or pickle for breakfast or for a light and healthy dinner.