Double Ka Meetha Recipe (with Step by Step Photos)
More Dessert Recipes
|2 cups Full Fat Milk|
|1/4 teaspoon Cardamom Powder (Elaichi)|
|4-5 Saffron Strands(kesar)|
|1/4 cup Sugar|
|1/2 cup Water|
|6 Brown Bread or White Bread slices|
|Ghee (clarified butter), for shallow frying|
|1 tablespoon chopped Cashew nuts|
|1/2 tablespoon Raisins|
|1 tablespoon sliced Almonds|
- Heat milk on medium flame in a non-stick or heavy based pan.
- When it comes to a boil, reduce flame to low and cook until milk quantity is reduced to half (around 1 cup) and turns thick. Stir in between occasionally to prevent sticking. Add saffron strands and cardamom powder and mix well. Turn off the flame and transfer it to a bowl. Let it cool at room temperature. Place it in the refrigerator until required.
- Take water and sugar in a pan to prepare the sugar syrup.
- Boil it over medium flame until slightly thick and sticky or slightly 1-string consistency syrup for approx. 5-6 minutes. Stir in between occasionally. Turn off the flame. Sugar syrup is ready.
- Remove edges of bread slices and cut each slice into 2 triangles. Note: Do not cut bread slices into triangles if you are using the third option in next step.
- Now make the breads crispy. To make them crispy, you can deep fry, shallow fry or toast them. Use any one of the following three methods.
- Deep Fry BreadsHeat ghee in a deep pan over medium flame. When it is hot enough to deep fry, add bread pieces and fry them until crispy and turn golden brown on both sides. Place deep fried breads on a paper napkin to remove excess ghee.
- Shallow Fry BreadsBrush bread pieces with ghee. Shallow fry them in a non-stick pan or tava over medium flame until crispy and golden brown on both sides. This method will take a longer time to crisp the bread compared with deep-frying method. However, it is a much healthier method to avoid excess ghee.
- Toast the BreadsToast bread slices in a toaster. Apply ghee with brush over both sides of each toased bread slice and then cut into triangles.
- Deep Fry Breads
- In this recipe, bread is shallow fried to reduce the calorie of the dish.
- Dip each crispy bread pieces into prepared sugar syrup.
- Arrange them in a deep serving plate.
- Pour thickened milk (prepared in step-2) over it. Garnish double ka meetha with almonds, raisins and cashew nuts. Serve it at room temperature or place it in refrigerator for 30 minutes to chill before serving.
- You can cut off the edges of bread slices if desired but it does not make much difference after frying them.
- Roast dry fruits in ghee for a minute before garnishing for crispy taste.
- Prepare double ka meeta within few minutes by following the recipe of shahi tukda with condensed milk.
- You can avoid preparing the sugar syrup and dipping bread slices in it. Instead, mix sugar (as per your taste) in milk in step 2.