Green Bean Curry with Aloo Recipe (with Step by Step Photos)
Green Bean Curry with Potato (aloo) is a simple yet delicious sabji which can be made quickly without much effort, usually served with chapati (phulka roti) for lunch or dinner. This aloo beans curry has a dry texture and made in a kadai (pan) as it does not take much time to cook the beans and potatoes. However, you can also use the pressure cooker to make this(read the tips for detailed instruction). The main ingredients for this sabji are green beans, potato and basic Indian spices while roasted gram flour (besan) and dry mango powder are added along with those to enhance the flavor.
More Curry Recipes
Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 15 minutes
Serves: 2 servings
|2 tablespoons Gram Flour (chickpea flour / besan), optional|
|250 gms Green Beans (French beans), (approx. 1/2 lb), chopped (approx. 2 cups)|
|1 medium Potato, peeled and diced (approx. 3/4 cup)|
|2 tablespoons Oil|
|1 teaspoon Cumin Seeds|
|1/4 teaspoon Turmeric Powder|
|1/2 teaspoon Red Chilli Powder (or as per taste)|
|1 teaspoon Cumin-Coriander Powder|
|1/4 teaspoon Dry Mango Powder (aamchur powder) OR 1/2 teaspoon Lemon Juice|
|1 tablespoon + 2 tablespoons Oil (or as needed)|
|Salt, to taste|
- Cut the green beans and potato into small pieces. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a heavy based kadai or a non stick pan. Add 2 tablespoons gram flour (chickpea flour/besan) and roast it over medium flame until it turns golden brown and nice aroma releases. Transfer it in a bowl and keep aside until needed.
- Heat 2 tablespoons oil in the same heavy based kadai or non stick pan over medium flame. Add 1 teaspoon cumin seeds.
- When they start to sizzle, add chopped green beans, potato and salt.
- Mix well and sauté for 2-3 minutes over medium flame. This step is necessary, it enhances the flavor of the sabji. Add 2 tablespoons water and mix well.
- Cover it with a lid and let it cook until the beans and potatoes turn soft. It will take approx. 5-7 minutes.
- Stir in between 2-3 times to prevent the sabji from sticking. If the sabji sticks a little bit, don’t worry. You can add 1-2 tablespoons more water if required.
- Add 1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder, 1/2 teaspoon red chilli powder (or as per taste), 1 teaspoon cumin-coriander powder and 1/4 teaspoon dry mango powder (aamchur powder or 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice).
- Mix well. Stir and cook for a minute.
- Add 2 tablespoons roasted gram flour (chickpea flour / besan). Mix well and cook covered for 1-2 minutes.
- Turn off the flame. Aloo green beans sabji is ready for serving.
Tips and Variations:
- How to Make Green Beans Curry In a PRESSURE COOKER? – To make this curry in pressure cooker, follow the same method as given above.
- Follow steps 1 to 4 and use pressure cooker instead of kadai (pan).
- Add ¼ cup water instead of 2 tablespoons water in step-5 and cook the sabji for 1-whistle over medium flame.
- Let the pressure release naturally and then remove the lid.
- Add 2 tablespoons roasted gram flour (chickpea flour / besan) and 1/4 teaspoon dry mango powder (aamchur powder or 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice). Mix well and cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Green Beans with Potato is ready for serving.
- Adjust the amount of red chilli powder as per your taste.
- Gram Flour (chickpea flour / besan) is an optional ingredient.
Serving Ideas: Serve aloo beans sabzi along with chapati or phulka roti, plain rice, tadka dal and kachumbar salad as a complete meal in lunch or dinner.