Panchmel dal or Panchratan dal is a simple and nutritious fusion of five different types of protein rich dals and lentils such as moong dal, chana dal, toor dal, masoor dal and urad dal. The healthy and thick textured dal prepared with this recipe has nicely balanced flavors of spices and can be enjoyed with baati and churma. Pair it up with chapati or with any other type of Indian flat bread, curry and steamed rice and turn your everyday meal into a healthy meal.
Preparation Time: 30 minutes
Cooking Time: 35 minutes
Serves: 2 servings
|2 tablespoons Whole Green Gram (Moong) or Split Green Gram|
|2 tablespoons Chana Dal (Bengal gram dal)|
|2 tablespoons Toor Dal (Arhar dal)|
|2 tablespoons Urad Dal (Black gram dal)|
|2 tablespoons Masoor Dal|
|1/2 teaspoon Cumin Seeds|
|A pinch of Asafoetida (hing)|
|4-5 Black Peppercorns, optional|
|1 Dry Red Chilli, halved|
|1 Green Cardamom|
|1 teaspoon finely chopped Ginger|
|1 Green Chilli, slit lengthwise, optional|
|1 medium Tomato, finely chopped|
|1/2 teaspoon Coriander Powder|
|1/4 teaspoon Turmeric Powder|
|1/2 teaspoon Dry Mango Powder (amchur powder)|
|1/2 teaspoon Red Chilli Powder|
|2 tablespoons Oil or Ghee|
|3 tablespoons finely chopped Coriander Leaves|
|Salt to taste|
- Rinse whole moong, chana dal, toor dal, urad dal and masoor dal and soak them together in water for 30-40 minutes. Drain water and transfer to an aluminum/steel pressure cooker of 3-4 liters capacity. Add salt and 1½ cups water and pressure-cook for 4-whistles over medium flame. Turn off the flame. When pressure comes down naturally, open the lid and slightly mash the dal with backside of a spoon.
- Heat ghee over medium flame in a pan. Add cumin seeds and allow them to crackle. Add asafoetida, cloves, black peppercorns, dry red chilli, green cardamom, ginger and green chili, sauté for 30-40 seconds.
- Add finely chopped tomato and sauté until it turns mushy.
- Add coriander powder, turmeric powder, mango powder and red chilli powder, mix well and sauté for about a minute.
- Add cooked dal (pressure cooked in step-1), mix well and cook for 2-minutes.
- Add 1-cup water, mix well and cook until it turns thick for approx. 7-8 minutes.
Tips and Variations:
- If whole green gram is not available, use split green gram as its replacement.
- Use oil or ghee as per your choice.
Taste: Spicy with thick soup like texture