|1 cup (for dough) + 1/2 cup (for dusting) Wheat Flour|
|3/4 cup finely chopped Onion|
|1/4 teaspoon Cumin Seeds|
|2 Green Chillies, finely chopped|
|1/4 teaspoon Garam Masala Powder|
|1 teaspoon Coriander Powder|
|4 tablespoons finely chopped Coriander Leaves|
|4 teaspoons + shallow frying Oil|
- Heat 1 teaspoon oil in a small pan over medium flame. When it is hot enough, add cumin seeds; when they start to crackle, add finely chopped onion and sauté until it turns light brown.
- Add finely chopped green chilli, chopped coriander leaves, garam masala powder and coriander powder; mix well and turn off the flame. Let the sautéed onion mixture cool for 3-4 minutes.
- Mix 1-cup wheat flour, 2-teaspoons oil, cooked onion mixture and salt in a medium bowl. Add water in small incremental quantities as required and knead a smooth dough (like chapati or roti dough).
- Grease the surface of dough with 1 teaspoon oil. Cover it with a plate or a muslin cloth and let it rest at room temperature for 15 minutes. Divide dough into 6 equal parts and give each one a round shape like ball.
- Take 1/2 cup dry wheat flour in a small plate. Take one dough ball, press it between your palms to convert it into a dough pattie. Coat it with dry wheat flour.
- Put dough pattie on rolling board/roti making board (chakla) and roll it out using rolling pin into a raw paratha of approx. 6-7 inch diameter (like roti).
- Place it on a hot tava/griddle and cook over medium flame. When tiny bubbles start to rise on the surface, flip it and reduce the flame to low. Spread 1/2 teaspoon oil over the surface and cook for approx 30-40 seconds.
- Flip it again and spread 1/2 teaspoon oil. Press it with spatula so that bottom surface touches hot tawa and cook for 30-40 seconds over medium flame. Repeat flip, press, cook process until golden brown spots appear on both sides.
- Transfer it to a plate. Follow the same process for remaining dough balls. Serve onion paratha with dum aloo or cucumber raita.
- If you are making onion paratha for kids, then excite them by making it in a triangular shape by following triangle paratha recipe.
- Add 2 tablespoons chopped spring onion (in step-1) for exciting new taste.