Rava Upma Recipe (with Step by Step Photos)
More Breakfast Recipes
|3/4 cup Rava (Sooji/Semolina)|
|1/4 teaspoon Mustard Seeds|
|1 teaspoon Chana Dal (optional)|
|1 teaspoon Urad Dal (optional)|
|1 pinch Asafoetida|
|1-2 sprigs Curry Leaves|
|1 medium Onion, finely chopped|
|1/2 teaspoon grated Ginger|
|2 Green Chilli, chopped|
|3 tablespoons Carrot, finely chopped|
|2 tablespoons Fresh or Frozen Green Peas|
|3 tablespoons Capsicum, finely chopped|
|1 large Tomato, finely chopped|
|5-6 fried Cashew Nuts (optional)|
|2 tablespoons finely chopped Coriander Leaves|
|1 teaspoon Lemon Juice|
|Salt to taste|
|1 tablespoon Ghee (Clarified Butter)|
|2 tablespoons Cooking Oil|
|1 1/2 cups Water|
- Heat 1 tablespoon ghee in a kadai or heavy based pan. Add rava in it.
- Roast it on low flame until it turns light brown, approx 4-5 minutes (time required to roast it may vary based on size and thickness of kadai). Keep stirring continuously. When done, transfer to a plate.
- Heat 2 tablespoons oil in same kadai over medium flame. Add mustard seeds. When they begin to sputter, add chana dal, urad dal, asafoetida and curry leaves. Cook until dals turn light brown.
- Add chopped onion, grated ginger and chopped green chillies and sauté for 1-2 minutes until onion becomes translucent.
- Add chopped carrot, green peas, chopped capsicum, chopped tomatoes and salt. Mix well and sauté for 2-3 minutes.
- Add water and bring the mixture to boil, it will take around 2-3 minutes.
- Add roasted rava and lemon juice; mix well.
- Stir continuously for 1-2 minutes to avoid lumps.
- Cover it with a lid and cook on low flame until mixture turns thick, it will take around 3-4 minutes. Stir in between regular intervals.
- Turn off heat and remove the lid. Let it settle for 10 minutes before serving.
- Add fried cashew nuts and coriander leaves, mix well and transfer rava upma to a serving plate.
- You can also add boiled vegetables of your choice in above recipe and make it healthier.
- Roast rava properly over low flame until light brown in color otherwise it will turn sticky after cooking.