It is a deliciously soft and spongy idli like snack prepared from rava (sooji, semolina), generally served with green chutney. There are two ways to make it at home, either using a traditional fermentation method or using Eno. This recipe follows the second approach.
Also, making soft and spongy instant dhokla with sooji is an art and many beginners fail to get it right. However, with this rava dhokla recipe’s step by step photos, you can be sure of making your best ever homemade white dhokla regardless your cooking expertise.
Instant Rava Dhokla Video
Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
Serves: 3 servings
|1 cup Fine Rava (sooji / semolina)|
|1 cup Sour Curd|
|1/3 cup Water|
|1 teaspoon Eno Fruit Salt|
|1 teaspoon + 1 teaspoon Cooking Oil|
|1 tablespoon Oil|
|1/2 teaspoon Mustard seeds|
|1/2 teaspoon Cumin seeds|
|1/2 teaspoon Sesame Seeds (til)|
|1 small Green Chilli, seeded and finely chopped|
|4 to 5 Curry Leaves|
|1 tablespoon finely chopped Fresh Coriander Leaves|
- Mix rava, curd, water and salt in one bowl and beat until smooth. Make sure that there are no lumps. Let it set for 15-20 minutes.
- Add approx. 1 large glass water in steamer and heat it over medium flame. Grease its trays (thalis) with 1-teaspoon oil. Add 1 teaspoon oil and Eno fruit salt in batter.
- Mix well until it starts to bubble on surface or for approx. 1-minute, make sure not to over mix it.
- Pour it immediately into a greased tray until its half capacity and place in steamer. Steam it for 3 minutes over high flame and then 12 minutes over medium flame.
- After 15 minutes, insert knife or toothpick in it and check if it comes out clean. If it does, then it is ready. If not, then steam it 2-3 minutes more.
- Take out trays from steamer and let it cool for 3-4 minutes. Cut prepared suji dhokla into small squares.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a small pan for tempering. Add mustard seeds and cumin seeds in it. When they begin to crackle, add sesame seeds, green chilli and curry leaves and sauté for few seconds and turn off the flame.
- Pour prepared tempering over rava dhoklas and garnish them with chopped coriander leaves.
Tips and Variations:
- You can use 1/4 teaspoon cooking soda in place of Eno in above recipe.
- Don’t keep batter idle for a long time after adding Eno. Add it just before pouring the batter in greased thali.
- Steam cook on a medium flame to make them spongy. Do not steam on high flame for long time.
Taste: Sour and soft
Serving Ideas: Serve it with green coriander chutney and tomato ketch up for yummy taste. Add mutter, chopped carrot and chopped capsicum in batter to make healthy Vegetable dhokla for kids. It is a perfect snack for kid’s lunch box.