Kadai Mushroom, stir fried mushroom and capsicum cooked in onion and tomato based spicy gravy, is prepared in a very similar way as popular Punjabi curry, restaurant style kadai paneer. In this Kadai Mushroom Curry recipe, each step is explained in a detailed manner with accompanied photo to make cooking easier. Serve it with phulka roti or triangle paratha and methi daal as a perfect meal combo in lunch.
More Curry Recipes
Preparation Time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 25 minutes
Serves: 2 servings
|150-200 gms White Button Mushroom|
|1/2 cup Capsicum, sliced (approx. 1/2 cup)|
|1 teaspoon Dry Coriander Seeds|
|1 Dry Red Kashmiri Chili, seeds removed and broken into 2-3 pieces|
|1 Green Cardamom|
|1/2 inch piece of Cinnamon|
|1 large Onion, chopped|
|2 medium Tomatoes, chopped (approx. 3/4 cup)|
|1 teaspoon Ginger-Garlic Paste|
|1/2 teaspoon Red Chili Powder|
|A pinch of Turmeric Powder, optional|
|1/2 teaspoon Kasuri Methi, optional|
|1/4 cup Milk, optional|
|1/2 cup Water|
|Salt to taste|
|1½ tablespoon Oil|
|1 tablespoon Butter (or oil)|
- Wash mushrooms in water to remove any dirt and debris. If required, peel them after washing. Cut them into slices. Heat 1/2 tablespoon oil in a pan over medium flame. Add sliced mushroom and stir-fry them for around 3-4 minutes.
- Add sliced capsicum and salt. Mix well and cook until water released by mushroom is evaporated and capsicum turns soft. Transfer them to a plate.
- Heat 1-tablespoon oil in the same pan over medium flame. Add dry coriander seeds, dry Kashmiri red chili, green cardamom, cinnamon and sauté for 30 seconds. Add chopped onion and ginger-garlic paste. Sauté until onion turns translucent.
- Add chopped tomato and salt (only for tomato and onion) and cook until tomatoes turn soft.
- Turn off the flame, transfer mixture to a bowl and let it cool for few minutes. After cooling for a while, transfer it to the small chutney jar of a mixer grinder and grind to a smooth puree.
- Heat 1-tablespoon butter in the same pan over medium flame. Add pureed mixture, red chilli powder and turmeric powder.
- Stir and cook for 2-minutes.
- Add cooked mushroom and capsicum. Stir and cook for 2-minutes.
- Add 1/2 cup water, mix well and bring it to boil over high flame. When it starts boiling, reduce flame to low and cook for around 4-5 minutes or until gravy turns thick. Add 1/4 cup milk and mix well.
- Cook it for 2-3 minutes and add kasuri methi.
- Turn off the flame and mix well. Kadai mushroom curry is now ready for serving.
Tips and Variations:
- Add red capsicum along with green capsicum for colorful curry.
- Increase or decrease the amount of dry red chilli to make it more or less spicy respectively.
- If you want to make curry less spicy but still want its deep red color, use Kashmiri dry red chillies.