Lachha Paratha Recipe (with Step by Step Photos)
More Roti Paratha Recipes
|1 cup (for dough) + 1/2 cup (for dusting) Maida (all purpose flour)|
|Warm Water for kneading|
|1 tablespoon + for shallow frying Oil or Ghee (clarified butter)|
- Take 1 cup maida, 1 tablespoon oil and salt in a large bowl. Knead smooth dough by mixing all ingredients and adding warm water in small incremental amounts (1 or 2 tablespoons at a time). Addition of water in small quantities as required will prevent you from adding too much water to bind dough. The dough should be soft like chapati dough. Grease surface of dough with 1/2 teaspoon oil, cover it with clean muslin cloth and leave it to set at room temperature for 25 minutes. Divide dough into 4 equal chunks and give each chunk a shape of ball.
- Take one dough ball, flatten it like pattie (by pressing between your palms of against rolling board) and coat it with dry wheat flour.
- Roll out dough ball in a circular shape (approx. 7-8 inch in diameter) or as thin as possible. Now spread 1/2 teaspoon ghee or oil evenly over entire surface using brush or your hand and sprinkle 1 teaspoon dry wheat flour over it.
- Hold approx 1/3 inch wide strip with your first two fingers and thumb from the top edge of rolled raw paratha, lift and fold backwards such that top edge remains on top.
- Now hold two ends of plited strip and repeat lift and fold backwards process until entire rolled paratha is like a stack of folded plits.
- Now hold each ends of long stacked-plited strip with your first two fingers and thumb. Lift the strip slowly away from rolling board and give a few mild gentle swings. This will stretch the strip a bit.
- Horizontally place elongated strip on a rolling board.
- Roll it like a Swiss roll. Press and stick outer-end against roll’s immediate surface. Prepare remaining rolls.
- Take one roll and place it horizontally on rolling board. Coat it with dry wheat flour and roll it out gently without applying too much pressure and give it a round shape (approx 5-6 inches diameter).
- Heat tawa or griddle over medium flame. Place raw lachha paratha on a hot tava. When you see tiny bubbles rise on the surface, flip it up side down.
- Spread 1 teaspoon oil over each side with spatula and cook until both sides gets evenly spread golden-brown spots.
- Transfer to plate and spread butter or ghee as per your preference. Repeat process for remaining rolls. Soft and crispy parathas are ready. Serve them with healthy palak paneer or dum aloo curry and coconut chutney.
- Replace maida flour with wheat flour or mix of 1/2 cup wheat flour and 1/2 cup maida.
- Use ghee instead of oil to knead dough for more soft and crispy paratha.
- Do not apply too much pressure while rolling out to get more visible layers in cooked lachha paratha.