Khichdo (Sweet) Recipe (with Step by Step Photos)
It is a nutritious and heavenly delicious Gujarati sweet dish prepared from cracked wheat, milk and lots of dry fruits. In Gujarat, people celebrate festivals like Makar Sankranti (Uttarayan – a kite festival) by preparing, eating and sharing homemade sweet khichdo.
More Desserts Sweets Recipes
Preparation Time: 1 hour
Cooking Time: 25 minutes.
Serves: 3 servings
|1/4 cup Cracked Wheat (wheat fada)|
|1 tablespoon Chana Dal, optional|
|1 tablespoon Toor Dal (tuvar dal/ arahar dal), optional|
|1/4 cup Milk|
|1 tablespoon Ghee|
|4 tablespoon (1/4 cup) Sugar (or less, according to taste)|
|A pinch of Cardamom Powder|
|A pinch of Nutmeg Powder, optional|
|A pinch of Clove Powder, optional|
|4-5 Raisins (kismis)|
|4-5 Cashew nuts (Kaju), chopped|
|4-5 Almonds (badam), chopped|
- Craked wheat is known as wheat fada in some regions. It is easily available in grocery stores.
- Wash cracked wheat, tuvar dal and chana dal and soak them in water for an hour.
- Drain excess water from soaked cracked wheat, chana dal, tuvar dal and add them in a 2-3 liter capacity pressure cooker. Add 1-cup water and close the lid.
- Pressure cook it for 4-whistles over medium flame. Turn off the flame and let the pressure releases naturally. Open the lid, as you can see the cracked wheat is cooked and turned soft.
- Add milk and sugar.
- Mix well and cook it over medium flame until mixture turns thick for around 3-4 minutes. Stir in between occasionally to prevent sticking.
- As you can see in the photo, the mixture has begun to thicken now.
- Add ghee, cardamom powder, nutmeg powder, clove powder and half of the dry fruits (raisins, almonds, cashew nuts). Mix well and cook for a minute.
- Turn off the flame. Garnish Gujarati khichdo with the remaining dry fruits and serve hot or chilled.
Tips and Variations:
- Add the spices powder (cardamom, nutmeg and clove) according to your taste.
- If you don’t want to add chana dal and toor dal, add 2-tablespoons more cracked wheat instead of it.
Serving Ideas: Serve it on uttarayan day with peanut chikki and undhiyu. It can also be served as alone as a dessert.