More Rice Recipes
|1/2 cup Rice|
|2 tablespoons Moong Dal (split green grams)|
|2 tablespoons Toor Dal (split pigeon peas)|
|1 medium size Onion, finely chopped|
|2 tablespoons Peanuts|
|2 cups Water|
|2 tablespoons Ghee|
|1/4 teaspoon Mustard Seeds|
|1/2 teaspoon Cumin Seeds|
|1 Cinnamon stick, broken into 2 pieces|
|1 small piece of Bay Leaf|
|4 Black Peppercorns|
|1/2 Star Anise|
|1 Dry Red Chilli, broken into halves|
|1/2 teaspoon Red Chilli Powder|
|1/4 teaspoon Turmeric Powder|
|1 tablespoon finely chopped Coriander Leaves|
- 1. Wash rice, toor dal and moong dal and soak them together in water for 20 minutes. Drain and keep aside until needed.
- Heat 2 tablespoons ghee in a steel/ aluminum pressure cooker (3-4 liter capacity). Add mustard seeds and let them crackle. Add cumin seeds, cloves, cinnamon, bay leaf, black peppercorn, star anise, dry red chilli and peanuts; sauté for a minute.
- Add chopped onion and sauté until onion turns light brown or for approx. 1-2 minutes.
- Add drained rice, toor dal, moong dal, red chilli powder, turmeric powder and salt. Sauté for 1 minute.
- Add 2 cups water, mix well and close the lid. Pressure cook for 3 whistles (1st whistle on high flame and remaining 2-whistles on medium flame).
- Turn off flame and let steam pressure inside pressure cooker comes down naturally. Open the lid carefully. It will take approx. 6-8 minutes.
- Transfer masala khichdi it to a serving bowl and serve it with plain curd/yogurt or onion raita and papad.
- If you are making it in less quantity and using small pressure cooker (2-3 liter capacity), then cook it over low flame.
- Add finely chopped potatoes and chopped vegetable of your choice for variation.
- This recipe uses ghee to get a nice aromatic flavor. However, you can also prepare it by sautéing rice and lentils in butter or cooking oil.