Paneer Butter Masala Recipe (with Step by Step Photos)
|250 gms Paneer (or Tofu), cut into 1-inch cubes|
|2 medium Onions, finely chopped|
|1½ teaspoons chopped Ginger|
|3-4 Garlic Cloves|
|3 medium Tomatoes|
|6-8 Cashew Nuts, soaked in water for 15 minutes|
|1 small piece of Bay Leaf|
|2 Green Chillies, slit lengthwise|
|1/2 cup Full Fat Milk|
|2 teaspoons Kasuri Methi (dry fenugreek leaves)|
|1/2 teaspoon Garam Masala Powder|
|1 tablespoon Coriander Powder|
|1 teaspoon or to taste Red Chili Powder|
|2 tablespoons Fresh Cream (or homemade malai)|
|2 tablespoons Butter|
|2 tablespoons Oil|
|Salt to taste|
- If you are using frozen paneer cubes, then defrost them.
- Grind onion, ginger and garlic in a grinder and make onion paste. Grind soaked cashew nuts with 2 tablespoons water to make cashew nut paste. Blanch the tomatoes and blend them to prepare tomato puree.
- Heat cooking oil and butter in a non-stick frying pan over medium flame. Add onion paste and bay leaf and sauté until onion paste turns light brown for approx. 4-5 minutes.
- Add green chilli and red chili powder and sauté for 30-40 seconds. Add cashew nut paste.
- Stir and cook for 2-minutes.
- Add tomato puree and cook until oil starts to separate from the puree, it will take around 3-4 minutes.
- Add coriander powder and garam masala powder and mix well.
- Add 1/2 cup milk, 1/2 cup water and salt; mix and cook until oil comes on the surface or for approx. 4-5 minutes.
- Add paneer cubes, kasuri methi and cook for approx 2-minutes or until you get the desired consistency of gravy.
- Add fresh cream.
- Mix properly and turn off the flame.
- Transfer prepared curry to a serving bowl. Garnish Punjabi paneer butter masala with milk cream or cube of butter and serve.
- Add 1/2 cup water in step-8 and cook for 3-4 minutes if gravy is too thick.
- You can also use chopped onion instead of using crushed onion for variation.
- You can also add shallow fried paneer cubes. Spread good quality paper napkin or kitchen paper on plate and put shallow fried paneer cubes on it to soak and remove excess oil from it to make relatively healthy low oil curry.
- If you like creamier gravy, then add more milk cream in step-10. Alternatively, if you do not like creamy taste, then you can altogether avoid using cream.
- Paneer is used in this traditional indian curry recipe however, you can use tofu if paneer is not available.
Response: You can use the canned tomato puree in this recipe. Cashew nuts make the curry creamy, you can use same amount of almonds (or poppy seeds and magajtari seeds).
Response: No, you cannot use curd instead of milk.
Response: Hi Justin, thanks for trying the recipe and I'm glad your in-laws loved it. Use the tomatoes that are meaty and less sour.
Response: Yes, you can shall fry or deep fry the paneer cubes before adding in the gravy.
Response: Kasuri methi has the specific aroma, it is added in most of the punjabi curries to get the flavor. However if it is not available, you can skip it.
I made this dish & stored some excess gravy in the refrigerator.
However the next day the sauce tasted spoilt, the gravy appeared curdled,
I used Amul cream.
What is happening & how can I avoid this?
I want to use the gravy over a few days at least.
Response: Hi Ravi, thanks for trying the recipe. After adding tomato puree in step-6, cook until oil starts to separate. If you don't cook it properly, the gravy may be curdled.
If you want to store the gravy, don’t add fresh cream. Add the fresh cream when you re heat the gravy.
Response: Hi Suganya, this curry gets mild sweetness from milk and fresh cream. However, if you want to add sugar for extra sweetness, you can add 1/2 teaspoon sugar.
Response: Yes, you can make this without adding garlic.
Response: Hi Ananya, you can skip the coriander powder.
Response: Full fat milk is the normal milk (whole milk, normal milk without removing fat content), which we use on daily basis. You can use any type of milk with fat or without fat and homemade garam masala in this recipe.
Response: Hi Ananya, you cannot use peanuts in this recipe but you can use same amount of almonds or white watermelon seeds (magajtari seeds) or khuskhus(poppy seeds) instead of cashew nuts.
Response: Yes, it is necessary to use nuts to thicken the gravy. You can use same amount of almonds or 2 tablespoons of watermelon seeds or 2 tablespoons of khus khus(white poppy seeds) instead of cashew nuts in the recipe.
Response: You can't add curd instead of fresh cream in this recipe. If it is not available, skip adding cream.
Response: Hi, you should use boiled milk.
It comes out very tasty.
Thanks 4 sharing the recipe.
Response: Kasuri methi is the Hindi name for dried fenugreek leaves (methi leaves). It is a dried herb, which has specific aroma and it is added in most of the punjabi curry/sabjis to enhance the flavor.
This link is very helpful as it has step by step instructions with pictures. Please update more of such dish recipes. Thanks.
Response: Hi Sanjana, bay leaf is used in cooking for its unique fragrance (similar to cinnamon). It is known as “Tejpatta” in Hindi and “Tamalpatra” in Gujarati. If bay leaf is not available, you can skip it in this recipe.
Response: Hi, we will definitely translate this recipe in Hindi language very soon. You can use any shallow fried vegetables or cooked chicken instead of paneer in this gravy.
Response: Fresh cream is known as Malai in Hindi. After boiling the milk and chilling in the refrigerator, thick layer forms on the milk surface is called malai. If you want to use homemade cream, just beat it with a wire whisk or a spoon for a minute and before adding into the gravy. You can buy it from grocery store (I generally use Amul brand) or make it at home.
Response: Hi Anand, you can share any tips related food and recipes in comment section.
Thanks, I will try soon.
Response: Hi Manjusri, add the marinated cooked chicken in stead of paneer cubes in this recipe to make butter chicken masala.
Response: Hi Sikha, you can either use ordinary milk or water instead of using full fat milk in this recipe. Full fat milk contains more fat compared to (normal milk) low fat milk.
Now see how's its taste.
I had cooked it for my hubby..
I will comment later about its taste.
Response: Hi Nisha, we will try to upload the recipe of butter naan without yeast very soon.
I have tried many recipes but this one so far is simple and the best..
Response: Hi, kasuri methi is a unique flavored herb, which is added to give punjabi flavor to the curry. If it is not available then you can skip it.
Response: Yes, Lakshmi you can prepare the gravy of the curry a day before and store it in refrigerator. Remove the gravy from refrigerator at least an hour prior to serving and heat it again; add paneer cubes and cook for 2-3 minutes. If gravy turns thick, then add some water and heat it again for few minutes.
To prevent paneer from turning hard follow the given instructions:
1. Always add paneer in the last stage while making the curry. Do not cook it for longer time (no more than 5 minutes) after adding paneer in the curry to prevent it from turning hard.
2. If you are making paneer at home then make sure that you do not press paneer under more than 3-4 kg weight for longer time (1 hour or less).
3. Do not deep fry paneer cubes for longer time.
Response: Hi Namratha, fresh cream is an English equivalent of Malai. To use the malai in this recipe, just beat it with a wire whisk or a spoon for a minute and then add in the curry in step-9.
Response: Hi Deepthi, kasuri methi has its own unique fragrance, which adds Punjabi touch to the curries and enhances the flavor. If it is not available then you can skip it.
Response: Hi Priyanka, cream is added to give a rich creamy flavor to the curry. You can not add any other item as an alternative of cream. If you do not have cream, then skip it (it will taste good but you will not get the restaurant style taste).
Response: Hi geetansh, milk is added in this recipe to reduce the tanginess of the tomatoes. The reasons behind milk was curdled while made you curry are given below.
1. Did you cook the tomato puree until oil starts to separated in step-6? If tomato puree is not cooked properly then it may happens.
2. Do not use low fat milk, use only full fat milk and after adding milk stir it properly to avoid curdling.
3. Do not add milk over high flame.
You can also skip the milk, use same amount of water instead of milk in step-8.
Response: Hi prerna, if you do not want to use onion and garlic then you can skip them to make no-onion no-garlic food (satvik food) but do not skip ginger and green chilli because they enhance the taste of the curry.
looking forward to all the others gradually.
Just tried the recipe now and It has came out really well .... Just added a bit of red colour to get the restaurant style look !!
Thanks a lot ! :)
Response: Hi Nisha, cashew-nut paste is used in this recipe to thicken the gravy. If cashew-nuts are not available then you can use khus khus and watermelon seeds instead of it to make a paste. Follow the below step.
1. Soak khus khus (poppy seeds) (1/2 tablespoon) and watermelon seeds (magaj-tari seeds) (1/2 tablespoon) together in 2-tablespoons hot water for 15-20 minutes.
2. Make smooth paste using mixer grinder and use prepared paste in place of cashewnut paste in this recipe.
Response: Saute means stir-fry or lightly cook ingredient in small amount of oil or butter. For example, saute onion means - stir and cook onion in oil until it changes it's color to light brown.
The recipe is too good....since i'm a beginner can you please let me know what is fresh cream?It is whip cream or half and half milk? all are same cream?if not where i can get this cream in USA?what do they call?
Response: In USA, fresh cream is generally referred as Heavy Cream. You can typically find it in a dairy products section in the stores. You can also use whipping cream (not whipped cream) as its alternative.
Response: Kasuri Methi is an Indian name for dried fenugreek leaves.
Response: No, you can not use yogurt in place of fresh cream in this recipe. Either you can use store bought fresh cream (from the packet) or homemade fresh cream (malai collected from milk).
Thanks for easy recipe with pics..........keep posting please it helps us a lot.
Wat a great recipe.
I have tried many recepices from this website..
It taste good...
Tum gonna try out this ..
I'm sure it will come out very well
Response: Thanks Rajeshree.
Response: You can use ghee (Indian style clarified butter) or vegan butter instead of plain butter in this recipe. If you want to skip the butter because of any health, allergy or weight related issues then you have to increase the amount of oil to 3 tablespoons in the given recipe, as a result you will get PANEER MASALA CURRY (without BUTTER) which will also taste good.
Response: Hi Sonia, you can not use sour cream ins place of fresh cream in this recipe. You can use either homemade fresh cream (malai) or store bought Amul fresh cream (or any other brand).
Response: Hi Priya, you can not use fresh curd instead of fresh cream in this recipe. If you do not have fresh cream then you can skip it but it will change the taste a little bit.
Response: Hi Nilanjana, thanks for trying the recipe. Kasuri methi has it's own specific aroma, which is generally added in most of the punjabi style curries to enhance the flavor. If it is not available then you can skip it.
Response: Thanks Anjan.
Response: Hi Srikanth, thanks for trying the recipe. The deep red color depends on the quality of red chilli powder (use kashmiri red chilli powder (not very old) to get less spicy taste and deep red color).
In this recipe, smooth paste of cashew nut is not required however you can easily make smooth paste at home by following steps.
1.Grind dry cashew nuts to smooth powder.
2.Soak that powder for 15 minutes in hot water.
Response: I used kashmiri red chilli powder in this recipe to get deep red colour. It gives nice red colour and tastes less spicy. Make sure that red chilli powder is not older than 6-months, otherwise you may not get red deep color.
I love this site. its so helpful in showing step by step directions and all recipes are very good. i will give all 5 stars to this site.
Taste is very nice..
Response: Method to make tomato puree is given in step-1. Follow the directions in step-1 to easily prepare puree at home.