Plum Chutney is a perfect way to use up wonderful harvest of ripe plums before they rot. It not only enhances the taste of roasted pork, meat and chicken, but also a great way to preserve the fruit for anytime use. This recipe uses spices, which enhances its sweet taste by giving it a spicy touch.
More Chutney Raita Recipes
|2 cups pitted, chopped Ripe Plums|
|1 teaspoon grated Fresh Ginger|
|2 Garlic Cloves, crushed|
|1/4 cup Raisins|
|1/4 teaspoon Cayenne|
|1 Cinnamon Stick|
|1/2 cup Sugar|
|1/3 cup Cider Vinegar|
- Combine cider vinegar and sugar in a medium size saucepan, stir and cook over medium heat until sugar dissolves.
- Add plum, grated ginger, crushed garlic, raisins, cayenne, cinnamon stick and salt, stir well and to mix all ingredients.
- When mixture starts to boil, reduce heat to low and simmer for around 25-30 minutes until plums are cooked and mixture thickens. Stir in between occasionally.
- After 25-30 minutes, if mixture is still runny, then simmer it for 5-10 minutes more. Cooking time may vary depending on the thickness and size of a pan you are using.
- Pour spiced plum chutney into hot-sterilized jar, seal and store for at least 4 weeks before enjoying it. You can store it up to 6 months in refrigerator.
Tips and Variations:
- If you like the flavor of star anise seed, then you can add it in above recipe for even spicier and flavorful taste.
- Adjust quantity of the sugar according to sweetness of plums you are having.
- You can also add fruits like apple, pear, peach, cranberry etc. to prepare spicy mixed fruit chutney.
Taste: Sweet taste of plums with strong appetizing aroma of spices.
Serving Ideas: It can be used as a spread for sandwiches as replacement of jam. It also enhances the taste of pork, meat and chicken when served as relish.