Guacamole, an authentic Mexican dip made from avocado, red onion, jalapeño pepper, cilantro and lime, tastes delicious, can be easily prepared at home in less than five minutes with this recipe’s step by step photo guide. So why buy ready-made guacamole in store when you can prepare custom-made preservative free Guacamole in just a few minutes at home? Avocado, which is popularly considered as super fruit due to its high content of vitamins, minerals, fibers and Monounsaturated Fatty Acids that helps reduce Cholesterol and Triglyceride levels, is the star ingredient of this recipe. Apart from Avocado Smoothie, Guacamole is the second best way to incorporate this super fruit in your daily diet and make lunch, dinner and snacks tastier.
|2 medium or 1 large Ripe Avocado|
|3 tablespoons finely chopped Red Onion|
|1/4 cup finely chopped Cilantro (coriander leaves)|
|1/2 Jalapeño Pepper, seeded and chopped (or any green chilli)|
|2 teaspoons Lime Juice|
|1/4 teaspoon Salt (or to taste)|
- Choose ripe avocados. To check whether the avocado is ripe or not, remove the stem and check if the underneath of stem is green or dark brown. If it’s bright green then avocado is ready. If it’s dark brown then it is overripe. If the stem doesn’t come off easily then avocado is not ripe yet. You can also check for ripeness by pressing the avocado gently – if it feels little soft yet firm then it is ready, if it feels mushy or very soft then it is over-ripe, if it feels firm it is under ripe.
- Cut them into halves as shown in the picture and remove the pit/stone carefully. Do not try to cut through pit as it’s very hard. Instead cut around it from all sides and twist both parts – one part will come off easily and pit would remain in other part. Remove pit by slightly inserting knife’s sharp edge in it and twisting a bit.
- Scoop out the avocado flesh and place in a medium size bowl. Add finely chopped onion, chopped cilantro, chopped Jalapeño, lemon juice and salt.
- Mash them with a fork (use potato masher if you are making it in large quantity). Keep little chunky texture. Taste for the seasonings and add more if required. Guacamole is ready. Serve it immediately or store it in an airtight container in refrigerator. To prevent it from discoloring, keep the removed avocado pit/stone with prepared Guacamole in the container.
Tips and Variations:
- Add finely chopped tomato to add little tanginess to its taste.
- Adjust the amount of jalapeño peppers to make it more or less spicy.
- Choosing the ripe avocado is the key to making best guacamole. Follow the tips given in step-1 to find out whether it is ripe or not.
- If you do not want to use avocado pit to prevent it from discoloring while storing, fill container till brim and close with an airtight lid.
Taste: Mild Spicy and Salty
Serving Ideas: Serve it with rice crackers, nachos or corn chips for afternoon snack. It can be also be used as a spread for making wraps.