Vegetable Paratha Recipe (with Step by Step Photos)
|1 cup + 1/2 cup Wheat Flour|
|1/4 cup shredded Carrot (gajar)|
|1/2 cup shredded Cabbage|
|1/4 cup finely chopped Capsicum|
|2 tablespoons finely chopped Spring Onion|
|2 tablespoons finely chopped Fenugreek (Methi) Leaves|
|1 teaspoon crushed Ginger-Garlic|
|1/2 teaspoon Turmeric Powder|
|1/4 cup Green Peas, boiled and mashed|
|1 tablespoons finely chopped, Coriander Leaves|
|1 Green Chilli, finely chopped|
|1/4 teaspoon Garam Masala Powder|
|1 teaspoon Coriander Powder|
|1/2 teaspoon Red Chilli Powder|
|3½ teaspoons + for shallow frying Oil|
- Heat 1-teaspoon oil in a non-stick pan. Add carrot, cabbage, capsicum, spring onion, fenugreek leaves and crushed ginger-garlic.
- Sprinkle salt and turmeric powder over it and sauté over medium flame for approx. 3-4 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Add mashed green peas.
- Mix well and turn off flame. Let sautéed mixed vegetables cool for 5-minutes.
- Take 1-cup wheat flour, 1-teaspoon oil and salt in a bowl. Add vegetables mixture, chopped coriander leaves, chopped green chilli, red chilli powder, garam masala powder and coriander powder. Mix them properly.
- Knead smooth and little stiff dough (like paratha dough) using small amount of water (approx. 1-2 tablespoons). Grease its surface with 1/2 teaspoon oil, cover it with clean muslin cloth and let it rest for 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes, divide dough into 8 equal parts and give them a round shape of ball.
- Take 1/2 cup dry wheat flour in a plate for dusting. Take one dough ball, flatten it like pattie and dust dry wheat flour over it.
- Put it on roti making board and roll out raw paratha of approx. 6-7 inch diameter.
- Place it on a hot tava/griddle and cook over medium flame. When tiny bubbles starts to rise on the surface, flip it and reduce the flame to low.
- Spread 1/4 teaspoon oil around edges and 1/4 teaspoon oil over surface with the help of spatula and cook for approx 30-40 seconds. Flip it again and spread another 1/4 teaspoon oil around edges and 1/4 teaspoon oil over its surface. Press it with spatula and let it cook for 30-40 seconds over medium flame. Cook until golden brown spots appear on both sides.
- Follow the same process for remaining dough balls. Mixed vegetable paratha is ready. Serve with curd and pickle.
- Mash the boiled peas properly to avoid tearing of dough while rolling out the paratha.
- You can also use boiled vegetables like potato, carrot, cabbage and green peas instead of sautéed one. Boil vegetables of your choice, drain excess water, mash them using potato masher and mix with wheat flour and spices and make a dough.
- For variation, you can make the triangle shaped vegetable parathas instead of round shaped.
Response: Thank you Rekha.
Response: Hi Jaya, thanks for trying the recipe. Did you cook the mixed veggies in step-2? After cooking they should turn semi-dry. Whether you are using boiled vegetables or raw vegetables, cook them in a non-stick pan (in step-2) until almost water evaporates and mixture turns semi-dry; then cool them down before mixing with the flour. If you are making it in large quantity then it will take more time to cook the vegetables in step-2. Make sure that you cook the vegetables in a pan after boiling.