Vegetable Khichdi Recipe (with Step by Step Photos)
|2/3 cup Basmati Rice|
|1/3 cup Moong Dal (split green gram)|
|1 medium size Onion, finely chopped|
|1 cup Mix Vegetables, chopped|
|3¼ cups Water|
|2 tablespoons Ghee|
|5 Black Peppercorns|
|5-6 Curry Leaves|
|1 Cinnamon stick, broken into 2-pieces|
|2 small pieces of Bay Leaf|
|1/4 teaspoon Cumin Seeds|
|1/2 teaspoon Red Chilli Powder|
|1/4 teaspoon Turmeric Powder|
|2 tablespoons Coriander Leaves (chopped)|
- Wash and soak rice and moong dal in water for 30 minutes. Drain and keep aside. Finely chop mix vegetables.
- Heat ghee in a deep pan over medium flame. Meanwhile, put 3¼ cups water to boil. When ghee is hot enough to sauté, add cumin seeds, cloves, bay leaves, cinnamon, black peppercorn and curry leaves. Sauté for 30-40 seconds.
- Add chopped onion and sauté until it turns light brown or for approx. 1-2 minutes.
- Add mixed vegetables (cabbage, green peas, potato, carrot, french beans) and sauté for 2 minutes.
- Add soaked rice, moong dal, turmeric powder, red chilli powder and salt. Mix well and sauté for 2-3 minutes.
- Add hot water and cover it with a lid. Let it cook for 10-15 minutes over low flame. Stir occasionally in between to prevent sticking.
- Open/remove the lid and let it cook until rice grain is tender and almost all water is absorbed; approx. 2-3 minutes.
- Turn off the flame and garnish it with coriander leaves.
- If you are a health conscious person, then reduce the amount of ghee to 1 tablespoon.
- You can also cook mixed vegetable khichdi in pressure cooker. Use medium size (4-5 liter cooker, pressure cook for 3 whistles, 1st whistle on high flame and remaining 2-whistles on medium flame).
- If you like mushy and dense texture, then use short grain rice, add 1 more cup water and let it cook until all water is absorbed.
Response: Thanks a lot Jaya for your nice and positive feedback. Comments are open for everyone on all recipes. Is there any specific thing/feature that did not work or you did not like? Currently we have name, email, rating and spam check mandatory to keep spammers away and encourage the genuine reviews and weed out spam reviews. We have sent a mail to you and you can reply to that as well.