More Rice Recipes
|1 cup Basmati Rice (long grain rice)|
|1 medium Onion, finely chopped|
|1 small Cinnamon stick|
|2-3 Cloves (lavang)|
|1 Green Cardamom|
|1/2 teaspoon Black Peppercorns|
|1 small Bay Leaf|
|4-5 Cashew Nuts|
|1 teaspoon crushed Ginger-Garlic|
|1 Green chilli, finely chopped|
|1 tablespoon Ghee (Clarified butter)|
|2 cups Water|
- Wash rice grains 2-3 times in water to remove excess starch. Soak them for 20 minutes. Washing them will also prevent them from becoming sticky while cooking. After 20 minutes, drain soaked rice.
- Heat ghee in a pressure cooker (approx.3-5 liter capacity steel/aluminum cooker). Add cinnamon, cloves, cardamom, black peppercorns and a piece of bay leaf and sauté for few seconds.
- Add chopped onion and sauté until it turns light brown.
- Add cashew nuts, raisins, crushed ginger-garlic and chopped green chillies and sauté low flame for a minute.
- Add drained rice in pressure cooker and stir-fry for a minute.
- Add salt to taste and 2 cups water. Mix them properly and close the lid. Pressure cook on low flame for 2 whistles.
- Turn off the flame and let pressure come down naturally. It will take approx. 5-8 minutes to come down. Open lid carefully and fluff rice with fork to separate rice grain.
- Transfer it to serving bowl and serve.
- In this recipe, steel pressure cooker with 3-litre capacity is used. If you want to use aluminum pressure cooker then pressure cook it on medium flame.
- If you do not have pressure cooker then cook it in a pan. Add same amount of water and cover it with a lid while cooking for around 10-12 minutes.
- You can prepare it in more quantity by simply using rice and water in 1:2 ratio (i.e. for every 1 cup rice use 2 cups water).
- Add few drops of lemon after adding water to make separated cooked rice grains.