It is an aromatic finely ground powder made of Indian spices and lentils for making authentic Vangi Bath (Brinjal Rice). The process of making Vangi Bath Masala Powder at home is simple and easy; just roast all lentil dals and spices individually and grind them together into smooth powder. Nowadays, this South Indian masala powder can be easily found in grocery stores but it can’t beat the aroma of freshly made Vangi Bhath masala powder at home. Learn how to make it at home in just 15 minutes with this recipe’s step by step photos, and how to use it to make either Vangi Bhath or Capsicum Rice.
More South Indian Recipes
|2 tablespoons Coriander Seeds|
|1 teaspoon Cumin Seeds|
|4-5 Dry Red Chillies|
|1½ tablespoons Chana Dal|
|2 teaspoons Urad Dal|
|5-6 Black Peppercorns|
|2 Green Cardamom|
|A small piece of Cinnamon|
|2 tablespoons grated Dry Coconut|
|A pinch of Asafoetida (hing)|
|1 teaspoon Oil|
- Take all the ingredients.
- Heat pan or kadai over low flame. Add coriander seeds, cumin seeds and dry red chillies. Roast them until nice aroma start to release (it would take for approx. 2-minutes). Transfer them to a plate.
- Heat oil in the same pan over low flame. Roast chana dal and urad dal until they turn slightly light brown. Transfer them to the same plate.
- Add green cardamom, black peppercorns, cinnamon, cloves and dry grated coconut together in the same pan and roast them for a minute. Turn off flame and transfer them to the plate.
- Let all roasted ingredients cool-down to room temperature.
- Transfer them to a small jar of a grinder. Add asafoetida and grind until smooth powder texture.
- Allow powder to cool for 5-8 minutes (it would heat up during grinding). Store it in an airtight bottle. It stays good in refrigerator for 2-3 months and for 2-weeks at room temperature.
Tips and Variations:
- Roast all the ingredients on low flame to prevent them from burning.
Serving Ideas: Used it to make Vangi Bath; use 1½ tablespoons vangi bath masala for 2 cups cooked rice. It can be also added in pulao or subzis for variation.