Sambar Powder Recipe (with Step by Step Photos)
Sambar powder is a flavorful South Indian style coarse textured spices powder, prepared by grinding various type of basic Indian spices like coriander seeds, cumin seeds, mustard seeds, black peppercorns, dry red chilies, fenugreek seeds, cinnamon, dry coconut etc. with chana dal. In South India, it is added with vegetables and lentils while preparing various types of sambars to enhance the flavor.
More South Indian Recipes
Preparation Time: 5 minutes
Cooking Time: 15 minutes
Serves: 2 cups
|1 cup Coriander Seeds|
|2 strings Curry Leaves|
|1/4 cup Chana Dal|
|1 teaspoon Fenugreek Seeds|
|1 teaspoon Mustard Seeds|
|2 tablespoons Cumin Seeds|
|2 teaspoons Black Peppercorns|
|3-4 pieces of Cinnamon|
|1 cup Dry Red Chilies|
|4 tablespoons grated Dry Coconut|
|1 teaspoon Turmeric Powder|
- Take all the ingredients in individual bowls or a large plate.
- Roast coriander seeds and curry leaves in a pan (kadai) over low flame until we smell nice aroma or coriander seeds turn slightly light brown. Transfer them to a plate.
- Roast chana dal in the same pan until it turns slightly light brown. Transfer it to the same plate.
- Add mustard seeds and fenugreek seeds to the same pan and roast them until they turn slightly dark in color or we smell a nice aroma. Transfer to the same plate.
- Roast cumin seeds, black peppercorns and cinnamon in the same pan for 30-40 seconds and transfer to the same plate.
- Roast dry red chill for 20-30 seconds and transfer to the same plate.
- Roast grated dry coconut until light brown and transfer to the same plate.
- Let them cool at room temperature for 7-8 minutes and transfer to a grinder jar. Add turmeric powder and grind them in a blender or grinder until slightly coarse texture.
- You can store it in an airtight container for 4-5 months.
Tips and Variations:
- Add 1-tablespoon powder while making sambar for 3-persons.
- Roast all ingredients in a heavy based pan over low flame to avoid burning.
- Add dry red chillies according to your preference to reduce spiciness.
- Sun dry all ingredients separately for minimum 2 hours except turmeric powder to store sambar powder for longer period.
- You can add salt while grinding, but be cautious while adding salt to sambar.
Serving Ideas: It is used to make variety of toothsome sambar with vegetables.