Dal Fry Recipe (with Step by Step Photos)
|4 tablespoons Toor Dal (toovar dal/arhar dal/split pigeon pea)|
|3 tablespoons Chana Dal (gram lentil)|
|3 tablespoons Moong Dal|
|3 tablespoons Masoor Dal|
|1½ cups + 3/4 cup Water|
|1 medium Tomato, finely chopped|
|1 large Onion, finely chopped|
|4 cloves Garlic, crushed|
|1/2-inch Ginger, crushed|
|2 Green Chillies, finely chopped|
|2 tablespoons Ghee (clarified butter)|
|1 Cinnamon stick, broken into 2-pieces|
|1/2 teaspoons Cumin Seeds|
|2 Dry Red Chillies|
|1/4 teaspoon Garam Masala Powder|
|1/4 teaspoon Turmeric Powder|
|1/2 teaspoon Red Chilli Powder|
|1 teaspoon Coriander Powder|
|1 teaspoon Lemon Juice|
|2 tablespoons finely chopped Coriander Leaves|
- Wash all dals in running water. Mix and soak them in water for 10 minutes. Drain water after 10 minutes and transfer to pressure cooker (3-5 liter size).
- Add salt and 1½ cup water in pressure cooker and pressure-cook them over high flame. When 1 whistle is over, reduce flame to medium and cook for another 3 whistles.
- Do not open its lid immediately. Let it cool for 7-8 minutes or until pressure comes down naturally. This process is not only for the safety but also required to cook dal properly. Open the lid and keep cooked dal aside until needed. Do not blend or mash them.
- Now prepare spicy sauté. Heat ghee in a pan over medium flame. When it is hot enough to sauté, add cumin seeds, red dried chillies, cinnamon and cloves. When seeds begin to crackle, add chopped onion and stir-fry over medium flame until it turns light brown or for approx. 1 minute.
- Add crushed ginger, crushed garlic and finely chopped green chilli; sauté for 20-30 seconds.
- Add finely chopped tomatoes and salt (only required to soften tomatoes); cook until tomatoes turn tender.
- Add garam masala, coriander powder, red chilli powder, turmeric powder; mix them properly. Add pressure-cooked dals; mix and cook for a minute.
- Add lemon juice, 3/4 cup water and cook on medium flame for 4-5 minutes. Stir in between occasionally to prevent sticking.
- Turn off flame and transfer prepared daal to bowl. Garnish it with finely chopped coriander leaves.
- If you do not like the whole cooked dals texture, then you can mash or blend them using blender or back of the large spoon.
- This simple and delicious recipe uses ghee, however, you can also use oil or butter too.
- For yet another variation of punjabi style dhaba dal fry, use 1/4 cup chana dal and 1/4 cup toor dal instead of using all types of dal used in this recipe. Directions for making daal fry remains the same.
Every time I tried making hotel type dal but failed..but going thru your blog I easily prepared with same taste.
Thanks a ton...
Response: Hi Bhavika, mix dals are used to make dal fry. If you use only moong dal, taste and texture will change.
I want to ask if I can make it with only toor dal and masoor dal? Thank you.
Response: Hi Shina, you can make it with toor dal and masoor dal. You can use dals in any combination according to the availability.
Response: Hi Vanessa, if you do not want to use pressure cooker, you can cook it in a deep pan (with lid). If you want to cook in a pan, first soak all the dals together in hot water for at least an hour before cooking and then cook them with water and salt in a pan until soft. Cover the pan while cooking to speed up the cooking. Check in between and if required, add more water while cooking.
and I was making dal rice. Actually I am jain and my fiance is punjabi.
By the time I was making dal my fiance came and said \"baby please make dal tadka for me\"
I don\'t know how to make it and I googled and I got this recipe...
I made dal tadka only with toor dal but it was very yummmmm. I couldn\'t believe that I made so yummy dal tadka that to for the first time...
everyone loved it!
Thanks a lot for sharing this yummy recipe...!
Response: Thanks a lot for trying our recipe and letting us know about it. You blog is good too.
Response: Thank You Vidya! We appreciate that you placed a faith in our hard work and tried the recipe and took out time to give us a feedback.