|2½ cups grated Dudhi (bottle gourd/lauki)|
|1 cup (250 ml) Full Fat Milk|
|3 tablespoons Condensed Milk|
|2 tablespoons Ghee (clarified butter)|
|3 tablespoons Sugar|
|10 Cashew Nuts, chopped|
|10 Almonds, chopped|
|1/4 teaspoon Cardamom Powder|
- To grate the dudhi, first peel it and then wash it in running water. After that, grate it from all sides and discard center part having seeds. Squeeze out water from grated dudhi completely.
- Heat ghee in a pan over medium flame. Add grated dudhi.
- Sauté it for 3-4 minutes, stirring continuously.
- Add milk and condensed milk; mix well and bring mixture to a boil.
- When it starts boiling, reduce flame to low and cook it until almost milk is absorbed. It will take approx. 10-15 minutes. Stir occasionally in between to prevent sticking. Add sugar, chopped cashew nuts, raisins and chopped almonds.
- Stir continuously and cook until almost moisture is evaporated and mixture turns thick; approx. 3-4 minutes.
- Turn off the flame, add cardamom powder and mix it properly.
- Delicious doodhi halwa is ready. Transfer it to serving bowl and serve.
- Dudhi has a little bit bitter taste. Squeeze out water completely from grated dudhi to reduce its bitterness.
- Replace sweetened condensed milk with 4 tablespoons khoya(mawa) and increase amount of sugar to 5 tablespoons for variation in taste and ease of preparation.