Vegetable Manchurian Gravy Recipe (with Step by Step Photos)
|For Veg Manchurian Balls|
|1/3 cup Maida (all purpose flour)|
|2 tablespoons Cornflour (corn starch)|
|3/4 cup shredded Carrot (Gajar)|
|3/4 cup shredded Cabbage|
|1/2 cup finely chopped Capsicum|
|1 finely chopped Green Chilli (Hari Mirch)|
|1/2 teaspoon Pepper Powder|
|1 pinch Ajinomoto (MSG), optional|
|1 teaspoon + for deep frying Cooking Oil|
|2 teaspoons crushed Ginger|
|2 Green Chillies (Hari Mirch), slit and cut into halves|
|1 tablespoon minced Garlic (Lasoon)|
|2 tablespoons finely chopped Spring Onion|
|1 tablespoon Cooking Oil|
|2 tablespoons Soy Sauce|
|1/2 tablespoon Chilli Sauce|
|2 tablespoons Tomato Ketchup|
|1 teaspoon Pepper Powder|
|2 tablespoons Cornflour (corn starch)|
|1 cup + 2 cups Water|
- Take a bowl, add shredded carrot, shredded cabbage, chopped capsicum and chopped green chilli, 1 teaspoon oil, pepper powder, a pinch of ajinomoto (MSG), maida, cornflour and salt.
- Mix all ingredients properly. Prepare small round shaped balls from the mix. Do not add water in the mix for making balls as water from vegetables will be sufficient to bind them. In case mix is not binding properly and small balls cannot be made, add some water in the mixture.
- Heat oil in a kadai (pan). Deep fry prepared balls on medium flame until they turn golden brown. Drain excess oil and transfer them to plate (spread kitchen paper napkin on plate to absorb excess oil).
- Dissolve 2 tablespoons cornflour in a 1 cup normal water.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a pan. Add minced ginger, minced garlic, chopped green chilli and chopped spring onion. Sauté for a minute. Add soy sauce, chilli sauce and tomato ketchup; sauté for a minute.
- Pour 2 cups water, pepper powder and salt. Bring mixture to boil over medium flame. When it starts boiling, let it boil for a minute.
- Add dissolved cornflour in a pan. Mix all gravy ingredients properly. Cook it on low flame for 1-2 minutes.
- Add deep fried balls and cook for 3 minutes over medium flame.
- Turn off flame and garnish it with chopped spring onion. Enjoy hot and spicy veg cabbage manchurian with Chinese fried rice or veg noodles.
- Do not add water in the vegetable mix while making balls as water from vegetables will be enough to bind them. In case mix does not bind properly and small balls cannot be made, add some water in the mixture.
- Initially keep gravy thin and little watery otherwise it may become very thick when cooked completely.
- Cook manchurian balls just before serving. Do not cook them in advance otherwise they will turn soggy.
- This recipe uses Ajinomoto (MSG) to get an authentic Chinese taste. However, you can avoid it if its not available or you are not comfortable using it.
First of all thank you very much for creating this website and sharing all your recipes. These make me look an expert cook in my house. Of course I haven't disclosed what's the secret. I've tried lot of your recipes and they have all turned out so delicious .
Today I cooked Hakka Noodles and veg Manchurian for a party of 25 people. These tasted awesome and now just waiting for people to come and give review.
Or any other alternative to corn one?
Response: You cannot use
Why are we using corn floor?
Response: Hi Dolly, you have added too much maida and that's why the manchurian balls turn hard. Corn flour (cornstarch) is added to get crispy outer layer.
Novice to cooking and bachelors can also try this dish. It's far simpler than paneer dishes where we have to add right amount of salt and spices at the right time in right ratio to get the taste. It takes lot of experiments to learn paneer dishes but here we use sauces bought from store to get taste. Far simpler.
Response: Hi Tulipz, I used "Ching's secret" brand chilli sauce and soy sauce in this recipe and all other Chinese recipes on this website. You can use any brand's chilli sauce but it should have chilli and vinegar as base ingredients. Do not use tomato chilli sauce.
With this recipe, manchurian balls were perfect but the gravy didnt taste like the restaurant types. Is it because I skipped MSG? However, my 6yr old licked her plate up. So its definitely tasty :)
I like your site. Thank you!
Response: Hi Tulipz, thanks for trying the recipe. MSG is not used in gravy so if you do not add it, taste of gravy will not change.
The taste of the gravy depends on the sauces you have used in the recipe. Use the tomato ketchup which tastes mild sweet and do not change the quantity of any other sauce. Add more tomato ketchup or tomato sauce to get mild sweet taste and add more chili sauce to make it spicy.
Its very tasty and yummy
Of course, I'll skip the MSG while preparing my manchurian, but I think it may be greatly beneficial if websites like this stop mentioning MSG in recipes.
Just a thought.
Response: We agree with your suggestion and that is the reason why we have mentioned the MSG as an optional ingredient in ingredients table list and in the tips section as well.