Crispy Homemade potato chips are one of the easier snacks to make from scratch at home. For the best potato chips, use potatoes which are high in starch and low in moisture, and make sure that the potatoes are firm and non sprouted. Follow the below given recipe with step by step photos and don’t forget to read the tips before making the chips at home.
|2 large Potatoes|
|Oil, for deep frying|
|Salt, for seasoning|
|Black Pepper Powder, for seasoning|
- Choose large potatoes with a smooth surface. Make sure the potatoes are firm and non sprouted. Peel the potatoes using a peeler.
- Slice them using a potato slicer as thin as possible. Don’t make thick slices. If possible, slice the potatoes in a bowl filled with water to prevent them from turning brown.
- Add water to the bowl and rinse it well 2-3 times until the water looks clear. Soak them in chilled water for 15 minutes (If you are not in a jiffy, then soak them for 30 minutes). Don’t skip this step. Soaking them removes the excess starch and that helps to make chips crispy.
- Transfer them to a drainer to remove excess water.
- Spread it on a kitchen towel or a paper napkin.
- Pat them dry to remove excess water.
- Heat oil in a frying pan over medium flame. When the oil is medium hot, drop a few slices into the hot oil.
- Fry the slices over low-medium flame, stirring occasionally in between to cook them evenly.
- When the chips turn slightly golden brown and crispy, remove them from the oil using a slotted spoon.
- Fry the remaining potato chips in batches. Add salt.
- Add black pepper powder (use freshly ground black pepper for better flavor) and toss them. Crispy Potato Chips are ready for serving. Cool down and store them in an airtight container.
Tips and Variations:
- Potato – Choose a large, firm and non sprouted potato.
- Slice – Make sure to make thin slices as possible. If you don’t have a slicer, you can use a sharp knife to make thin slices.
- Soaking the potatoes in chilled water for 15-30 minutes is necessary to remove extra starch that prevents the slices from turning brown.
- Make sure to dry the potato slices well before frying them in the hot oil.
- Variations – You can season the potato chips with red chilli powder or dried mint instead of black pepper powder.
Taste: Salty and Crispy
Serving Ideas: Serve potato chips with a cup of tea/coffee or enjoy it whenever you like.