Fresh and juicy tomatoes are only available during summer and they possess the best tangy taste and flavor. Canning tomato juice recipe is about preserving the goodness of best seasonal tomatoes in a bottle and enjoy it all through year. The juice prepared with this recipe has mild spicy aroma of ground black pepper which makes it irresistibly different from other canning recipes.
More Juice Recipes
|3½ pounds Ripe Tomatoes|
|Pepper to taste, optional|
|1 teaspoon Sugar, optional|
|Salt, to taste|
- Remove core and cut tomatoes into thin slices. Do not discard its juice. Use it for simmering tomato pieces in following step.
- Simmer tomatoes in a non-aluminium pot for around 20-25 minutes until mixture is smooth and soupy.
- Force the mixture through sieve or blend the mixture and strain to remove skin and seeds.
- Add pepper, sugar and salt, mix well.
- Again, cook it for 4-5 minutes until it reaches the boiling point.
- Take away pot from heat and pour mixture into hot sterilized jar leaving 1/2 inch head-space.
- Clean rim and sides of jars.
- Close lids and process jars in boiling water bath for 10 minutes.
- Allow jars to cool at room temperature. You can store canned tomato juice for up to one year.
- After opening the jar, keep it in refrigerator and consume within a week.
Tips and Variations:
- Add salt, pepper and sugar as per your taste before re-boiling the juice.
- If you do not want to do canning, then store juice in a freezer. You can store and use frozen juice for up to one month after preparation.
Taste: Tangy taste of tomato with mild aftertaste of pepper.
Serving Ideas: Serve it with ice cubes as a refreshing drink.